Occupational Therapy in Client-Centered Pain Management
Occupation has been defined as, “activity in which one engages that is meaningful and central to one’s identity (Hussey et al. 2008).” The role of an occupational therapist in assessing, treating, and collaborating with clients who experience pain of a psychological or physical origin has a primary focus on the client’s ability to function in his/her everyday life in those activities or “occupations” that hold meaning for the client.
KeywordsChronic Pain Occupational Therapist Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Occupational Therapy Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Bauer B, ed. Mayo clinic guide to alternative medicine. New York, NY: Time Incorporated; 2007.Google Scholar
- Birkholtz M, Aylwin L, Harman RM. Activity pacing in chronic pain management: one aim, but which method? Part one: introduction and literature review. Br J Occup Ther. 2004;67:447–452.Google Scholar
- Bracciano AG. Physical agent modalities – theory and application for the occupational therapist. 2nd ed. Thorofare, NJ: Slack, Incorporated; 2008.Google Scholar
- Chou R, Huffman LH. Nonpharmacologic therapies for acute and chronic low back pain: a review of the evidence for an American Pain Society/American College of Physicians clinical practice guideline. Ann of Int Med. 2007;147:492–504.Google Scholar
- Cole MB. Group dynamics in occupational therapy: the theoretical basis and practice application of group intervention. 3rd ed. Thorofare, NJ: Slack, Incorporated; 2005.Google Scholar
- Collin C, Wade DT. The Barthel ADL Index: a reliability study. Intl Disabil Stud. 1988;10: 64–67.Google Scholar
- Dávila SA. Therapist’s management of fractures and dislocations of the elbow. In: Mackin EJ, Callahan AD, Skirven TM, Schneider, LH, Osterman AL, Hunter JM, editors. Rehabilitation of the hand and upper extremity. 5th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, Incorporated; 2002. pp. 1230–1244.Google Scholar
- DeBono V. Integration of taping techniques with myofascial therapy. In: Hammer WI, editor. Functional soft-tissue examination and treatment by manual methods. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Barlett Publishers; 2007. pp. 675–688.Google Scholar
- Deshaies L. Arthritis. In: Pendleton HM, Schultz-Krohn W, editors. Pedretti’s occupational therapy: practice skills for physical dysfunction. St. Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier; 2006. pp. 950–82.Google Scholar
- Fedorczyk JM, Barbe MF. Pain management: principles of therapists’ intervention. In: Mackin EJ, Callahan AD, Skirven TM, Schneider, LH, Osterman AL, Hunter JM, editors. Rehabilitation of the hand and upper extremity. 5th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, Incorporated; 2002. pp. 1725–41.Google Scholar
- Fess EE. A history of splinting. In: Fess EE, Gettle KS, Philips CA, Janson JR, editors. Hand and upper extremity splinting: principles & methods. 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier; 2005. pp. 3–43.Google Scholar
- Gatchel RJ, Turk DC. Activity-rest cycling. In: Gatchel RJ, Turk DC, editors. Psychological approaches to pain management – a practitioner’s handbook. New York, NY: Guilford; 1996. pp. 272–4.Google Scholar
- Goodyear Smith F, Arroll B. What can family physicians offer patients with carpal tunnel syndrome other than surgery? A systematic review of nonsurgical management. Ann Fam Med. 2004;2:267–73.Google Scholar
- Grangaard L. Low back pain. In: Pendleton HM, Schultz-Krohn W, editors. Pedretti’s occupational therapy: practice skills for physical dysfunction. St. Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier; 2006. pp. 1036–55.Google Scholar
- Guzman J, Esmail R, Karjalainen KA, Malmivaara A, Irvin E, Bombardier C. Multidisciplinary bio-psycho-social rehabilitation for chronic low-back pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Jul;18(2):CD 000963.Google Scholar
- Hamilton BB, Granger CV, Sherwin FS, Zielezny M, Tashman JS. A uniform national data system for medical rehabilitation. In: Fuhrer MJ, editor. Rehabilitation outcomes: analysis and measurements. Baltimore, MD: Brookes; 1987. pp. 137–47.Google Scholar
- Hand Rehabilitation Center of Indiana. Diagnosis and treatment manual for physicians and therapists. 4th ed. Indianapolis, IN: Author; 2001.Google Scholar
- Hudak PL, Amadio PC, Bombardier C, and The Upper Extremity Collaborate Group (UECG). Development of an upper extremity outcome measure: The DASH (Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand) [corrected]. Am J Ind Med. September 1996;3:372.Google Scholar
- Hussey SM, Sabonis-Chafee B, O’Brien JC. Introduction to occupational therapy. 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier; 2008.Google Scholar
- Jaegers LA. Ergonomics, health, and wellness in industry: a holistic approach. Am Occup Ther Assoc Work Ind Spec Int Sec Q. 2008;22:1–4.Google Scholar
- Kasch MC. Therapist’s evaluation and treatment of upper extremity cumulative trauma disorders. In: Mackin EJ, Callahan AD, Skirven TM, Schneider, LH, Osterman AL, Hunter JM, editors. Rehabilitation of the hand and upper extremity. 5th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, Incorporated; 2002:1005–17.Google Scholar
- Kase K. Illustrated kinesiotaping. 3rd ed. Albuquerque, NM: Ken’i Kai; 2000.Google Scholar
- Kavanagh J. Management of chronic pain using the cognitive-behavioral approach. Brit J Ther Rehabil. 1995;2:413–8.Google Scholar
- King PM, Olson DL. Work. In: Blesedell Crepeau E, Cohn ES, Boyt Schell BA, editors. Williard & Spackman’s occupational therapy. 11th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009. pp. 615–31.Google Scholar
- Lundon K. The effect of mechanical load on soft connective tissues. In: Hammer WI, editor. Functional soft-tissue examination and treatment by manual methods. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers; 2007. pp. 15–30.Google Scholar
- Moscony AM. Enabling occupational competence: evaluation and treatment for the painful extremity: part II. Am Occup Ther Assoc Phy Dis SIS Q. 2002;25:1–4.Google Scholar
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke – National Institutes of Health. NINDS chronic pain information page. February 23, 2009. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chronic_pain/chronic_pain.htm. Accessed 2 Apr 2009.
- Nowack KM. Stress Profile. Western Psychological Services. 1999. Available at: http://portal.wpspublish.com/pdf/sp.pdf. Accessed 20 Oct 2009.
- Pearson Education, Inc. Pain Patient Profile by Tollison CD & Langley JC. Available at: http://psychcorp.pearsonassessments.com/HAIWEB/Cultures/en-us/Productdetail.htm?Pid=PAg509. Accessed 20 Oct 2009.
- Rochman DL, Kennedy-Spaien E. Chronic pain management – approaches and tools for occupational therapy. OT Pract. 2007;12:9–15.Google Scholar
- Roth S, McCune CC. The client and family experience of mental illness. In: Cara E, MacRae A, editors. Psychosocial occupational therapy: a clinical practice. 2nd ed. Clifton Park, NY: Thomson Delmar Learning; 2005. pp. 3–25.Google Scholar
- Sabata DR, Shamberg S, Williams M. Optimizing access to home, community, and work environments. In: Radomski MV, Trombly Latham CA, editors. Occupational therapy for physical dysfunction. 6th ed. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. pp. 951–73.Google Scholar
- Seaward BL. Managing stress: principles and strategies for health and well-being. 5th ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett; 2006.Google Scholar
- Simons DG, Travell JG, Simons LS. Travell & Simons’ Myofascial pain and dysfunction – the trigger point manual. Vol. 1. The upper half of the body. 2nd ed. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins; 1999.Google Scholar
- Stark Schier J, Chan J. Changes in life roles after hand injury. J Hand Ther. 007;20;57–69.Google Scholar
- Stein F, Cutler SK. Psychosocial occupational therapy: a holistic approach. San Diego, CA: Singular; 1998.Google Scholar
- The American Occupational Therapy Association. Occupational therapy practice framework: domain & process. 2nd ed. Am J Occup Ther. 2008b;62:625–83.Google Scholar
- The American Occupational Therapy Association: Reimbursement and Regulatory Policy Department. Fact sheet: Medicare basics. 2008a. Available at: http://www.aota.org/Practitioners/Reimb/Pay/Medicare/FactSheets/37788.aspx. Accessed 14 May 2009.
- Valpar International Corporation. Interrater reliability of Joule, an FCE System. 1999. Available at: http://www.valparint.com/JOULSTD2.htm. Accessed 20 Oct 2009.
- Walsh JT, Muntzer E. Therapist’s management of complex regional pain syndrome (reflex sympathetic dystrophy). In: Mackin EJ, Callahan AD, Skirven TM, Schneider, LH, Osterman AL, Hunter JM, editors. Rehabilitation of the hand and upper extremity. 5th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, Incorporated; 2002:1707–1724.Google Scholar
- Wiskin LF. Cognitive-behavioral therapy: a psychoeducational treatment approach for the American worker with rheumatoid arthritis. Work 1998;10:41–48.Google Scholar
- Yasuda YL. Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia. In: Radomski MV, Trombly Latham CA, editors. Occupational therapy for physical dysfunction. 6th ed. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. pp. 1214–43.Google Scholar