Mini Sensing Chip for Point-of-Care Acute Myocardial Infarction Diagnosis Utilizing Micro-Electro-Mechanical System and Nano-Technology
A rapid and accurate diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction (AMI) is crucial for saving lives. For this purpose, we have been developing a rapid, automatic, point-ofcare, biosensing system for simultaneous four cardiac marker quantification. This system performs a fluorophore mediated immuno-sensing on optical fibers. To improve the sensitivity of the sensor, novel nanoparticle reagents enhancing fluorescence were implemented. Micro-electro-mechanical system (MEMS) technology was applied in the sensing chip development and automatic sensing operation was implemented to ensure a reliable and user-friendly assay. The resulting system is a point-of-care, automatic four cardiac marker sensing system with a 2 x 2.5cm sensing chip. An assay requires a 200 μ$L plasma sample and 15-minute assay time.
KeywordsAcute Myocardial Infarction Acute Myocardial Infarction Cardiac Marker Cyclic Olefin Copolymer Nanometal Particle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Heart Association (AHA), Heart disease and stroke statistics, 2007 updateGoogle Scholar
- 4.R. Bernard, E. Corday, H. Eliasch, Nomenclature and criteria for diagnosis of ischemic heart disease. Report of the Joint International Society and Federation of Cardiology/World Health Organization task force on standardization of clinical nomenclature. Circulation 59:607–9 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.J. O. Spiker, K. A. Kang, W. Drohan, and D. F. Bruley, Protein C detection via fluorophore mediated immuno-optical biosensor. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology 428, 621-627. (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.L. Tang and K. A. Kang. Preliminary study of simultaneous multi-anticoagulant deficiency diagnosis by a fiber optic multi-analyte biosensor. Proceedings of the 31st IOSTT Annual Meeting, Aug. 16-20, 2003, Rochester, NY.Google Scholar
- 9.F. S. Apple, R. H. Christenson, R. Valdes, A. J. Andriak, K. Mascotti, and A. H.B. Wu, Simultaneous rapid measurement of whole blood myoglobin, creatine kinase MB, and cardiac troponin I by the triage cardiac panel for detection of myocardial infarction, Clin. Chem. 45(2), 199-205 (1999).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.L. Tang, Multi-analyte, fiber-optic immuno-biosensing system for rapid disease diagnosis: model systems for anticoagulants and cardiac markers. Dissertation. Chemical Engineering, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY. (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.K. A. Kang and B. Hong, Biocompatible nano-metal particle fluorescence enhancers, Crit. Rev. Eukar. Gene Expres. 16(1), 45-60 (2006).Google Scholar
- 16.B. Hong, J. H. Kai, Y. J. Ren, J. Y. Han, Z. W. Zou, C. H. Ahn, and K. A. Kang, Higly sensitive, rapid, reliable and automatic cardiovascular disease diagnosis with nanoparticle fluorescence enhancer and MEMS, Proceeding of the 34rd ISOTT annual meeting, August 12-17, Louisville, KY, USA, (in press)Google Scholar