Internet Adoption in Tourism Industry in China
Information communication technologies (ICTs) have significantly revolutionized the travel industry in the last decade. E-tourism has been developed in travel industry in the world, which helps to realize digitalization of travel service process and value chains in travel industry, and has been used to evaluate the entire range of ICT application in tourism industry. E-tourism has developed variedly in different regions or countries. This research aims to examine how ICTs and Internet have impacted the travel industry in China. This study explores the current e-tourism development in China and examines the use of Internet in travel organizations. In addition, it investigates some issues related to the e-tourism development, including the drivers and barriers in e-commerce adoption from both travel organizations’ and travelers’ perspectives. The results indicate that in general China is a late-adopter as regards to the adoption of e-commerce in tourism industry. In China only a few innovative travel organizations are at the early adoption stage of Internet and have experienced the benefits and advantages of early-adopters. Though e-tourism has been a growing trend, travel agency still keeps the main travel service delivery channel in China. This study also suggests that travel organizations in China should learn from developed countries to know how to develop e-tourism and improve the competitiveness of tourism in China.
KeywordsTourism Industry Information Communication Technology Travel Agency Travel Information Online Channel
- 2.D. Buhalis, Tourism and Information Technologies: Past, Present and Future, Tourism Recreation Research 25(1), 41-58 (2000).Google Scholar
- 6.H. X. Li, and R. Suomi, E-commerce Development in China: Opportunities or Challenges? In Proceedings of the IADIS International Conference on E- commerce (Krishnamurthy, S. & Isaias, P. Ed.), pp. 413-417, IADIS Press, Barcelona, Spain, 2006.Google Scholar
- 7. China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC), The 21th Statistical Report on Internet Development in China, http://www.cnnic.net.cn/uploadfiles/pdf/2007/7/18/113918.pdf
- 8. Research in China (RIC), The Benefit Model in E-commerce in China in 2006, http://www.pday.com.cn/research/2005/572_ecommerceway.htm
- 9. China Market Information Centre (CCID), B2B Market Will Continue Develop in China, http://news.ccidnet.com/art/1032/20060214/428239_1.html.
- 12. China National Tourism Administration (CNTA), The Annual Statistical Report of Tourism Industry in China in 2006, http://www.cnta.gov.cn/news_detail/newsshow.asp?id=A20071023943253500589
- 13. China National Tourism Administration (CNTA), Outbound Travel Development in China, http://www.cnta.gov.cn/news_detail/newsshow.asp?id=A20075101738546353446
- 15.J. Lu, and Z. Lu, Development, Distribution and Evaluation of Online Tourism Services in China, Electronic Commerce Research 4 (2004), 221-239 (2004).Google Scholar
- 17.J. W. Cresswell, Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Research Methods and Approaches, Second edition, Sage Publications, London, 2003.Google Scholar