Understanding ICH Guidelines Applicable to Stability Testing
This chapter discusses International Conference of Harmonization (ICH) guidelines that are related to the Stability Sciences. It gives a brief history of how the Q1A was initiated. A summary of Q1A(R2) discusses thoroughly the current regulations that the industry supports and practices. While this handbook was being prepared, the FDA Stability Guidance was withdrawn; therefore, a brief discussion of the guidance status has been included. A discussion of mean kinetic temperature is included for a basis of understanding stability testing conditions.
KeywordsEuropean Union Drug Product Stability Testing Drug Substance Kinetic Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ICH Secretariat (1990) Formation of the International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use (ICH), http://www.ich.org/cache/compo/276-254-1.html.
- 2.Zahn M (1992) Stability testing: industry perspectives. In: Proceedings of the first international conference on harmonisation, Brussels 1991. D’Arcy PF, Harron DWG (eds) Belfast, pp. 50–58.Google Scholar
- 3.International Conference on Harmonization, (2003) Q1A(R2): Stability testing of new drug substances and products (second revision), EU: adopted by CPMP, March 2003, issued as CPMP/ICH/2736/99; MHLW: adopted June 3, 2003, PFSB/ELD notification No. 0603001; FDA: Published in the Federal Register, Vol. 68, No. 225, Friday, November 21, 2003; pp. 65717–18, http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA419.pdf
- 4.International Conference on Harmonization (1996) Q1B: Photostability testing of new drug substances and products, EU: adopted by CPMP, December 96, issued as CPMP/ICH/279/95; MHLW: adopted May 97, PAB/PCD notification No.422; FDA: Published in the Federal Register, Vol. 62, No. 95, May 16, 1997, pp. 27115–27122, http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA412.pdf
- 5.Thatcher SR, Mansfield RK, Miller RB, Davis CW, Baertschi SW (2001) Pharmaceutical photostability—a technical guide and practical interpretation of the ICH guideline and its application to pharmaceutical stability – part I. Pharm Tech, 25(3):98–110.Google Scholar
- 6.Thatcher SR, Mansfield RK, Miller RB, Davis CW, Baertschi SW (2001) Pharmaceutical photostability—a technical guide and practical interpretation of the ICH guideline and its application to pharmaceutical stability – part II. Pharm Tech 25(4):58–60.Google Scholar
- 7.International Conference on Harmonization (1997) Q1C: Stability testing for new dosage forms; EU: adopted by CPMP, December 96, issued as CPMP/ICH/280/95; MHLW: adopted May 97, PAB/PCD notification No. 425; FDA: Published in the Federal Register, Vol. 62, No. 90, May 9, 1997, pp. 25634–25635, http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA413.pdf
- 8.International Conference on Harmonization (2002) Q1D: Bracketing and matrixing designs for stability testing of drug substances and drug products; EU: adopted by CPMP, February 2002, CPMP/ICH/4104/00; MHLW: adopted on July 31, 2002 as PFSB/ELD notification No. 0731004; FDA: Published in the Federal Register, Vol. 68, No. 11; January 16, 2003; pp. 2339–2340, http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA414.pdf
- 9.International Conference on Harmonization (2003) Q1E: Evaluation of stability data; EU: adopted by CPMP, March 2003, issued as CPMP/ICH/420/02; MHLW: adopted June 3, 2003, PFSB/ELD notification No. 0603004; FDA: Published in the Federal Register / Vol. 69, No. 110, Tuesday June 8, 2004, pp. 32010–32011, http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA415.pdf
- 10.International Conference on Harmonization (1995) Q5C: Stability testing of biotechnological/biological products; EU: adopted by CPMP, December 95, issued as CPMP/ICH/138/95; MHLW: adopted January 98, PMSB/ELD notification No.6; FDA: Published in the Federal Register, Vol. 61, July 10, 1996, p. 36466. http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA427.pdf
- 11.Reynolds DW, Facchine KL, Mullaney JF, Alsante KM, Hatajk TD, Motto MG (2002) Available guidance and best practices for conducting forced degradation studies. Pharm Tech 26(2):48–56Google Scholar
- 12.Klick S, Muijselaar PG, Waterval J, Eichinger T, Korn C, Gerding TK, Debets AJ, deGriend CS, Beld Cvd, Somsen GW, DeJong GJ (2005) Toward a generic approach for stress testing of drug substances and drug products. Pharm Tech 29(2):48–66Google Scholar
- 13.Reed RA, Templeton AC, Xu H, Placek J (2003) Implications of photostability on the manufacturing, packaging, storage and testing of formulated pharmaceutical products. Pharm Tech 27(3):68–86Google Scholar
- 14.Baertschi SW, Kinney BH, Snider B (2000) Issues in evaluating the in-use photostability of transdermal patches. Pharm Tech 24(9):70–80Google Scholar
- 15.CPMP/QWP/2934/99Google Scholar
- 17.Zahn M (2006) Temperature control and product quality of medicines in transit. Regul Aff J 17(11):731–736Google Scholar
- 19.USP 30–General Chapter<1150>Pharmaceutical stability.Google Scholar