Far from city lights, the view of the night sky is dominated by stars. Th ey seem to be present in countless numbers. It comes as a surprise to learn that with the naked eye only about three thousand are visible at any given time. Most of these lie within a hundred, and all but a few within a thousand, light years of the Earth.
KeywordsDung Beetle Hubble Space Telescope North Fork Guide Star Orion Nebula
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.George Rieke, The Last of the Great Observatories: Spitzer and the era of faster, better, cheaper at NASA (Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 2006), 28.Google Scholar
- 2.Edward Carr, “The Last Days of the Polymath,” Intelligent Life Magazine, August 2009.Google Scholar
- 3.Henry David Thoreau, Wild Fruits, ed. Bradley P. Dean (New York and London: W. W. Norton, 2000), 165.Google Scholar
- 4.Ibid., 167-168.Google Scholar
- 5.Winston S. Churchill, Painting as a Pastime (New York: The McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1950), 12.Google Scholar
- 6.Ibid., 14.Google Scholar