Perchlorate Sources, Source Identification And Analytical Methods
Given the wide range of anthropogenic and natural perchlorate sources, the remediation practitioner should be aware of effective source identification and analytical methods to determine the origin and extent of perchlorate contamination. Characterization issues discussed in this chapter include: (1) anthropogenic and natural sources of perchlorate and their associated co-contaminants; (2) isotopic techniques to distinguish between natural and anthropogenic sources of perchlorate; (3) analytical methods for perchlorate recommended by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and their limitations; and (4) chemical and geochemical parameters that should be measured during the characterization and treatment of a perchlorate-contaminated site.
4.2 Sources of Perchlorate
The use and disposal of rocket propellant in the defense and aerospace industries is the most widely cited source of perchlorate contamination in the...
KeywordsIsotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry Ammonium Perchlorate Sodium Chlorate Material Safety Data Sheet Perchlorate Concentration
- APA (American Pyrotechnics Association). 2004. APA Anticipates Robust Year for Fireworks Retailers but Tougher Times for Professional Display Industry. APA Press Release. Bethesda, MD, USA. June 23. http://www.americanpyro.com/pdf/0406_pr_release.pdf. Accessed February 24, 2008.Google Scholar
- Betts JA, Dluzniewski TJ. 1997. Impurity Removal for Sodium Chlorate. U.S. Patent No. 5,681,446, October 28, 1997.Google Scholar
- Boodoo F. 2003. POU/POE removal of perchlorate. Water Cond Purif 45:52–55.Google Scholar
- Brandhuber P, Clark S. 2005. Perchlorate Occurrence Mapping. Submitted to American Water Works Association, Washington, DC, USA. http://www.awwa.org/files/Advocacy/PerchlorateOccurrenceReportFinalb02092005.pdf. Accessed February 24, 2008.Google Scholar
- CDHS (California Department of Health Services). 2007. History of Perchlorate in California Drinking Water. http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/drinkingwater/Pages/Perchloratehistory.aspx. Accessed February 21, 2008.
- Clark ID, Fritz P. 1997. Environmental Isotopes in Hydrogeology. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, FL, USA. 328p.Google Scholar
- Conkling JA. 1985. Chemistry of Pyrotechnics. Basic Principles and Theory. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY, USA.Google Scholar
- DoD EDQW (Department of Defense Environmental Data Quality Workgroup). 2007. DoD Perchlorate Handbook. August 2007. http://www.fedcenter.gov/_kd/Items/actions.cfm?action=Show&item_id=8172&destination=ShowItem. Accessed February 24, 2008.
- Geosyntec. 2005. Alternative Causes of Wide-Spread, Low Concentration Perchlorate Impacts to Groundwater. White Paper submitted to DoD SERDP, Arlington, VA, USA.Google Scholar
- Geosyntec. 2006. Evaluation of Alternative Causes of Wide-Spread, Low Concentration Perchlorate Impacts to Groundwater. SERDP Project ER-1429 Annual Report. Submitted to DoD SERDP, Arlington, VA, USA.Google Scholar
- Geosyntec. 2007. Evaluation of Alternative Causes of Wide-Spread, Low Concentration Perchlorate Impacts to Groundwater. SERDP Project ER-1429 Annual Report. Submitted to DoD SERDP, Arlington, VA, USA.Google Scholar
- Goldenwieser EA. 1919. A Survey of the Fertilizer Industry. U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDOA), Bulletin No. 798. Washington, D.C., USA, October 20.Google Scholar
- Groocock G. 2002. New problem: Perchlorate. The Suffolk Times Online.Google Scholar
- Gu B, Coates JD (eds). 2006. Perchlorate Environmental Occurrence, Interactions and Treatment. Springer, New York, NY, USA.Google Scholar
- Hammer BT, Kelly CA, Coffin RB, Cifuentes LA, Mueller J. 1998. δ13C values of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons collected from two creosote contaminated sites. Org Geochem 152:43–58.Google Scholar
- Hatzinger PB, Böhlke JK, Sturchio NC, Gu B. 2008. Validation of Chlorine and Oxygen Isotope Ratio Analysis to Differentiate Perchlorate Sources and to Document Perchlorate Biodegradation. Project ER-0509 Fact Sheet. ESTCP, Arlington, VA, USA. http://www.estcp.org/Technology/ER-0509-FS.cfm. Accessed February 24, 2008.
- Howard PE. 1931. Survey of the Fertilizer Industry. USDOA, Circular No. 129. Washington, DC, USA.Google Scholar
- Hughes V. 2004. Contamination Might be Traced to Lowell Treatment Plant. The Lowell Sun, September 2. http://www.lowellsun.com/. Accessed February 21, 2008.
- IME (Institute of Makers of Explosives). 2007. Perchlorate. http://www.ime.org/tmp_downloads/Perclhorate%20statement07.pdf. Accessed February 21, 2008.
- ISEE (International Society of Explosives Engineers). 1998. Blasters' Handbook, 17th edition. ISEE, Cleveland, OH, USA.Google Scholar
- ITRC (Interstate Technology & Regulatory Council). 2005. Perchlorate: Overview of Issues, Status, and Remedial Options. ITRC Perchlorate Team, September. http://www.itrcweb.org/Documents/PERC-1.pdf. Accessed February 21, 2008.
- Jackson WA, Anderson TA, Harvey G, Orris G, Rajagopalan S, Namgoo K. 2006. Occurrence and formation of non-anthropogenic perchlorate. In Gu B, Coates JD, eds, Perchlorate: Environmental Occurrence, Interactions, and Treatment. Springer, New York, NY, USA, pp 49–66.Google Scholar
- Johnson J, Grimshaw D, Richman K. 2003. Analysis for perchlorate by ion chromatography: significant recent findings. American Pacific Corporation, Las Vegas, NV, USA.Google Scholar
- Kendall C, Caldwell EA. 1998. Fundamentals of isotope geochemistry. In Kendall C, McDonnell JJ, eds, Isotope Tracers in Catchment Hydrology. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, Netherlands, pp 51–86.Google Scholar
- Kramer DA. 2003. Explosives. U.S. Geological Service. http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/explosives/explomyb03.pdf. Accessed February 24, 2008.
- MADEP (Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection). 2005. The Occurrence and Sources of Perchlorate in Massachusetts, Draft Report. MADEP, Boston, MA, USA, August. http://www.mass.gov/dep/cleanup/sites/percsour.pdf. Accessed September 21, 2008.Google Scholar
- Mehring AL. 1943. Fertilizer Consumption in 1941 and Trends in Usage. USDOA, Circular No. 689. Washington, DC, USA.Google Scholar
- OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute). 2000. National Organics Standards Board (NOSB) Technical Advisory Panel (TAP) Review Compiled by OMRI for Sodium Chlorate. http://www.omri.org/sodium_chlorate.pdf. Accessed February 21, 2008.
- Orris GH, Harvey GJ, Tsui DT, Eldridge JE. 2003. Preliminary analyses for perchlorate in selected natural materials and their derivative products. USGS Open File Report 03-314. USGS, USA.Google Scholar
- PAN Pesticides Database. 2002. Sodium Chlorate California Pesticide Use Statistics for 2002. http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Search_Use.jsp#SearchCAUse.
- Philip RP. 2002. Application of stable isotopes and radioisotopes in environmental forensics. In Murphy BL, Morrison RD, eds, Introduction to Environmental Forensics. Elsevier, New York, NY, USA. 560p.Google Scholar
- Renner R. 1999. Study finding perchlorate in fertilizer rattles industry. Environ Sci Technol 33:394A–395B.Google Scholar
- Schilt AA. 1979. Perchloric Acid and Perchlorates. GFS Chemicals, Inc., Columbus, OH, USA.Google Scholar
- Sharp Z. 2007. Principles of Stable Isotope Geochemistry. Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA. 344p.Google Scholar
- Silva MA. 2003a. Perchlorate from Safety Flares: A Threat to Water Quality. Santa Clara Valley Water District Publication. Santa Clara Valley Water District, San Jose, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- Silva MA, 2003b. Safety Flares Threaten Water Quality with Perchlorate. Santa Clara Valley Water District Publication. Santa Clara Valley Water District, San Jose, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- Sturchio NC, Böhlke JK, Gu B, Horita J, Brown GM, Beloso A, Patterson LJ, Hatzinger PB, Jackson WA, Batista J. 2006. Stable isotopic composition of chlorine and oxygen in synthetic and natural perchlorate. In Gu B, Coates JD, eds, Perchlorate: Environmental Occurrence, Interactions, and Treatment. Springer, New York, NY, USA, pp 93–110.Google Scholar
- Urbansky ET, Collette TW, Robarge WP, Hall WL, Skillen JM, Kane PF. 2001b. Survey of Fertilizers and Related Materials for Perchlorate. EPA 600/R/01/047. USEPA, Washington, DC, USA.Google Scholar
- USDOC (U.S. Department of Commerce). 2003. Inorganic Chemicals: 2002, Product code 325188A141. USDOC Economics and Statistics Administration, U.S. Census Bureau, Washington DC, USA.Google Scholar
- USEPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency). 1999a. Revisions to the Unregulated Contaminant Monitoring Regulation for Public Water Systems; Final Rule. Federal Register, September 17, 64:50555–50620.Google Scholar
- USEPA. 1999b. Method 314.0. Determination of Perchlorate in Drinking Water Using Ion Chromatography, Rev. 1.0. USEPA National Exposure Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development, Cincinnati, OH, USA. www.epa.gov/safewater/methods/ sourcalt.html. Accessed February 21, 2008.Google Scholar
- USEPA. 2000. Method 9058. Determination of Perchlorate Using Ion Chromatography with Chemical Suppression Conductivity Detection, Rev. 0.Google Scholar
- USEPA. 2005a. Method 331.0. Determination of Perchlorate in Drinking Water by Liquid Chromatography Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry, Rev. 1.0. EPA 815/R/ 05/007. Technical Support Center, Office of Groundwater and Drinking Water, USEPA, Cincinnati, OH, USA.Google Scholar
- USEPA. 2005b. Method 332.0. Determination of Perchlorate in Drinking Water by Ion Chromatography with Suppressed Conductivity and Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry. EPA/600/R/05/049. USEPA National Exposure Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development, Cincinnati, OH, USA. www.epa.gov/nerlcwww/ordmeth.htm. Accessed February 21, 2008.
- USEPA. 2005c. Method 314.1, Determination of Perchlorate in Drinking Water Using Inline Column Concentration/Matrix Elimination Ion Chromatography with Suppressed Conductivity Detection, Rev 1.0. EPA 815/R/05/009. Technical Support Center, Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water, USEPA, Cincinnati, OH, USA. www.epa.gov/ safewater/methods/sourcalt.html. Accessed February 21, 2008.Google Scholar
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey). 2006a. Resources on Isotopes: Periodic Table —- Chlorine. http://wwwrcamnl.wr.usgs.gov/isoig/period/cl_iig.html. Accessed February 21, 2008.
- USGS. 2006b. Resources on Isotopes: Periodic Table — Oxygen. http://wwwrcamnl.wr.usgs.gov/isoig/period/o_iig.html. Accessed February 21, 2008.