Cost Analysis Of In Situ Perchlorate Bioremediation Technologies
Once the effectiveness and reliability of different remedial approaches have been established, cost becomes a significant factor in selecting a remedial alternative. Evaluation of costs for various remedial approaches requires estimates of not just the initial capital costs, but also the costs of operations and maintenance (O&M), and the necessary monitoring over the life of the project. Such a life-cycle cost analysis can help responsible parties to evaluate not just the total costs of different options, but also the rate and timing of spending. Some remedies will require larger up front investments but have lower life-cycle costs, while other remedies may have relatively low up front costs, but higher O&M costs when compared to other options.
The costs of site remediation begin with the initial or Phase I investigations and continue through closure. The early investigations including preparation of remedial investigation work plans and evaluation of data are...
KeywordsElectron Donor Base Case Capital Cost Injection Well Monitoring Cost
- DoD (Department of Defense). 1995. DoD Instruction 7041.3: Economic Analysis for Decision-Making. November 7, 1995. http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/704103p.pdf. Accessed June 12, 2008.
- McDade JM, McGuire TM, Newell CJ. 2005. Analysis of DNAPL source-depletion costs at 36 field sites. Remediation (Spring 2005):9–18.Google Scholar
- OMB (Office of Management and Budget). 2008. Discount Rates for Cost-Effectiveness, Lease, Purchase and Related Analysis. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a094/a94_appx-c.html. Accessed June 12, 2008.
- Quinton GE, Buchanan Jr. RJ, Ellis DE, Shoemaker SH. 1997. A method to compare groundwater cleanup technologies. Remediation (Autumn 1997):7–16.Google Scholar
- USACE/USEPA (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers/U.S. Environmental Protection Agency). 2000. A Guide to Developing and Documenting Cost Estimates during the Feasibility Study. EPA-540-R-00-002/OSWER 9355.0-75. July. http://www.epa.gov/superfund/policy/remedy/pdfs/finaldoc.pdf. Accessed June 12, 2008.