Short and Long-Range Order in Phase Change Materials
This chapter offers a brief historical review of phase change materials as well as an overview of more recent findings. The chapter mainly focuses on the prototypical phase change materials in the Ge-Sb-Te and doped Sb-Te systems as these are currently the two composition spaces that are being applied both in the current generation of optical storage as well as future generations of electrical memory. In many ways, the structures of both the crystalline and amorphous phase change materials are atypical; the crystalline phase is often metastable, while the amorphous phase defies description as a typical random covalent network. We explore both long and short-range order of some prototypical compositions in the hope of providing a baseline from which deeper interpretations can be made.
KeywordsPhase Change Material XANES Spectrum Phase Change Memory Rocksalt Structure Peierls Distortion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [8.5]Abrikosov, N. K., Danilova-Dobryakova, G.: An investigation of the structural diagram of Sb2Te3 - GeTe. Izvestiya Akademii Nauk SSSR, Neorganicheskie Materialy 1, 204-207 (1965)Google Scholar
- [8.7]Petrov, I., Imamov, R., Pinsker, Z.: Electronographic determination of the structures of Ge2Sb2Te5 and GeSb4Te7. Sov. Phys. Cryst. 13, 339-344 (1968)Google Scholar
- [8.9]Gaspard, J. P., Pellegatti, A., Marinelli, F., Bichara, C.: Peierls instability in covalent structures I. electronic structure, cohesion and the Z=8-N rule. Phil. Mag. B 77, 727-744 (1998)Google Scholar
- [8.34]Karpinskii, O., Shelimova, L., Kretova, M., Fleurial, J.: Structural study of ternary layered compounds in the (GeTe)n˙(Bi2Te3)m and (GeTe)n˙(Sb2Te3)m homologous series. Inorg Mat 34, 225-232 (1998)Google Scholar
- [8.41]Ghosh, G., Lukas, H. L., Delaey, L.: A thermodynamic assessment of the Sb-Te system. Zeitschrift für Metallkunde 80, 731-736 (1989)Google Scholar
- [8.51]Raoux, S., Zhang, Y., Milliron, D., Cha, J., Caldwell, M., Rettner, C., Jordan-Sweet, J., Wong, H.: X-ray diffraction studies of the crystallization of phase change nanoparticles produced by self-assembly-based techniques. Proc. Europ. Symp. On Phase Change and Ovonic Science, September (2007)Google Scholar
- [8.52]Fons, P., Brewe, D., Stern, E., Kolobov, A., Fukaya, T., Suzuki, M., Uruga, T., Kawamura, N., Takagaki, M., Ohsawa,, Tanida, H., Tominaga, J..: Sub-nanosecond laser-induced structural changes in the phase change material Ge2Sb2Te5 measured by an optical pump/x-ray probe technique. In: Proceedings of the 9th European Phase Change and Ovonics Symposium, Zermatt Switzerland (2007)Google Scholar
- [8.54]K. Shportko, S. Kremers, M. Woda, D. Lencer, J. Robertson, and M. Wuttig: Resonant bonding in crystalline phase-change materials. Nat Mater, advanced online publication:, 2008.Google Scholar