Bivariate Dependence Orderings for Unordered Categorical Variables
Interest in assessing the degree of association between two or more random variables has a long history in the statistical literature. Rather than measuring association, we want ways of comparing it. Restricting the attention in this chapter to unordered categorical random variables, we point at some possible definitions of dependence orderings which employ matrix theory and, to a lesser extent, group theory. This approach allows a unified investigation of the most common indicators in the statistical literature.
One very special type of association is the amount of agreement among different observers that classify the same group of statistical units: in the medical field this has led to widespread use of Cohen's Kappa. Starting with an axiomatic definition of agreement, we show its formal properties. Some criticism of Cohen's Kappa and other measures of agreement in use will ensue.
KeywordsOrder Relation Statistical Unit Permutation Matrix Stochastic Matrix Interrater Agreement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cifarelli, D.M. Regazzini, E. (1986). Concentration function and its role in descriptive statistics. Proceedings of the 33rd Scientific Meeting of the Italian Statistical Society, 2, 347–352.Google Scholar
- Giovagnoli, A. (2002a). Differenti aspetti della connessione: un approccio attraverso la teoria degli ordinamenti. In Studi in onore di Angelo Zanella. Ed. Vita e Pensiero, 329–334.Google Scholar
- Giovagnoli, A. (2002b). Stochastic orderings and their use in statistics: the case of association between two variables. In Proceedings of the XLI Scientific Meeting of the Italian Statistical Society, 5–7 June 2002, Milan, 95–104.Google Scholar
- Giovagnoli, A., Marzialetti, J., and Wynn, H.P. (2006). A new approach to inter-rater agreement through stochastic orderings: the discrete case. Manuscript.Google Scholar
- Goodman, L.A. Kruskal, W.H. (1979). Measures of association for cross classification. Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Marzialetti, J. (2006). Lo Studio dell'Agreement mediante gli Ordinamenti. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Statistical Sciences, University of Bologna.Google Scholar
- Ross, S. (1995). Stochastic Processes. Wiley, London.Google Scholar
- Scarsini, M. (1991). An ordering of dependence. In Topics in Statistical Dependence, pages 403–414. Block, H.W., Sampson A.R., Savits, T.H. eds, Institute of Mathematical Statistics (Hayward).Google Scholar
- Shoukri, M.M. (2004). Measures of Interobserver Agreement. Chapman & Hall, Boca Raton.Google Scholar