W-Iterations and Ripples Therefrom
The focus of this contribution is on algorithms for constructing optimal designs. Henry Wynn, one of the earliest contributors in this field, inspired David Silvey to point me in the direction of further algorithmic developments. I first heard of this topic at a seminar David gave at University College London in the autumn of 1970 in which he spoke of Henry's work (he had been Henry's external examiner). Henry also attended this seminar! The rest is history. In this chapter, Henry's work and ripples therefrom will be explored.
KeywordsMaximum Likelihood Estimator Support Point Multiplicative Algorithm Conditional Design Maximum Likelihood Estimation Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fedorov, V.V. (1972). Theory of Optimal Experiments. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Titterington, D.M. (1976). Algorithms for computing D. -optimal designs on a finite design spaceConference on Information Sciences and Systems, Department of Electrical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 213–216.Google Scholar
- Torsney, B. (1977). Contribution to discussion of a paper by Dempster, Laird and Rubin. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, 39, 22–27.Google Scholar
- Torsney, B. (1983). A moment inequality and monotonicity of an algorithm, (Kortanek, K.O. and Fiacco, A.V., eds.). Proceedings of the International Symposium on Semi-Infinite Program and Application 215, University of Texas, Austin. 249–260.Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical System,Google Scholar
- Torsney, B. (1988). Computing optimising distributions with applications in design, estimation, and image processing. (Dodge, Y., Fedorov, V.V. and Wynn, H.P., eds.). Optimal Design and Analysis of Experiments Elsevier Science Publishers B. V., North Holland, 361–370.Google Scholar
- Torsney, B. and Alahmadi, A. (1992). Further development of algorithms for constructing optimizing distributions. (Fedorov, V.V., Muller, W.G., and Vuchkov, I.N., eds.). Model Oriented Data Analysis. Physica-Verlag, Wurzburg (Wien), 121–129.Proceedings of the second IIASA Workshop in St. Kyrik, BulgariaGoogle Scholar
- Torsney, B. and Mandal, S. (2001). Construction of constrained optimal designs, (Atkinson, A., Bogacka, B., and Zhigljavsky, A.A., eds.). Optimum Design 2000, Kluwer, Dordecht, 141–152.Google Scholar
- Torsney, B. and Mandal, S. (2004). Multiplicative algorithms for constructing optimizing distributions: further developments. mODa 7 – Advances in Model Oriented Design and Analysis, Proceedings of seventh International Workshop on Model Oriented Design and Analysis, Heeze, Netherlands, June 14–18, 2004, (Bucchiano, A.D., Lauter, H. and Wynn, H.P., eds.). Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg, 143–150Google Scholar
- Wynn, H.P. (1972). Results in the theory and construction of D-optimum experimental designs (with discussion). Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, 34, 170–186, 133–147.Google Scholar