Part of the Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology book series (AEMB, volume 634)
Influenza in Pregnancy: The Case for Prevention
KeywordsPregnant Woman Avian Influenza Influenza Vaccine Influenza Vaccination Influenza Season
- Black SB, Shinefield HR, France EK, Fireman BH, Platt ST, Shay D (2004). Vaccine Safety Datalink Workgroup: Effectiveness of influenza vaccine during pregnancy in preventing hospitalizations and outpatient visits for respiratory illness in pregnant women and their infants. Am J Perinatol, 21: 333–339.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bland PB (1919). Influenza in its relation to pregnancy and labor. Am J Obstet Dis Women Child, 79: 184–197.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2007a). Prevention and control of influenza: recommendations of the advisory committee on immunization practices. MMWR, 56 (RR-6): 1–25.Google Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2007b). Guidance for prevention and control of influenza in the peri- and postpartum settings. www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/infectioncontrol/peri-post-settings.htm.
- Davis D, O’Brien MAT, Wolf FM, Freemantle N, Mazmanian P, Taylor-Vaisey A (1999). Impact of formal continuing medical education. Do conferences, workshops, rounds and other traditional continuing education activities change physician behaviour or health care outcomes? JAMA, 282: 867–874.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Department of Health, United Kingdom (2006). Immunization against infectious disease- the Green Book. Chapter 19. Influenza, ed. R.M. Salisbury D, Noakes K. 2006, London, UK: TSO (The Stationery Office) www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthandsocialcaretopics/Greenbook/index.htm.
- France EK, Smith-Ray R, McClure D, Hambidge S, Xu S, Yamasaki K, Shay D, Weintraub E, Fry AM, Black SB, Shinefeld HR, Mullooly JP, Jackson LA, and the Vaccine Safety Datalink Team (2006). Impact of maternal influenza vaccination during pregnancy on the incidence of acute respiratory illness visits among infants. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med, 160: 1277–1283.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Freeman DW, Barno A (1959). Deaths from Asian Influenza Associated with Pregnancy. Amer J Obst Gynec, 78: 1172–1175.Google Scholar
- Glezen WP, Keitel WA, Taber LH, Piedra PA, Clover RD, Couch RB (1919). Age distribution of patients with medically-attended illnesses caused by sequential variants of influenza A/H1N1: comparison to age-specific infection rates, 1978–1989. Am J Epidemiol, 133 (3): 296–304.Google Scholar
- Greenberg M, Jacobziner H, Pakter J, Weisl BA(1958). Maternal mortality in the epidemic of Asian influenza, New York City 1957. Amer J Obst and Gynec, 76: 897–902.Google Scholar
- Grimshaw JM, Thomas RE, MacLennan G, Fraser C, Ramsay CR, Vale L, Whitty P, Eccles MP, Matowe L, Shirran L, Wensing M, Dijkstra R, Donaldson C (2004). Effectiveness and efficiency of guideline dissemination and implementation strategies. Health Technol Assess, 8 (6): iii–iv, 1–72. PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Halperin BA, MacKinnon-Cameron D, McNeil S (2006). Survey of knowledge, attitudes, and behaviour regarding influenza vaccination in pregnancy and childhood. International Conference on Women and Infectious Diseases (ICWID). Atlanta, USA March 17–19, 2006 (Abstract #38). www.womenshealthconf.org
- Local Government Board (1919). 48th Annual Report 1918–1919. Supplement containing the report of the medical department. Section 2. Influenza. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office; 7–32.Google Scholar
- McNeil S, Dodds L, Fell D, Coombs A, Scott J, Allen V, Halperin B, MacDonald N (2006). Impact of influenza on respiratory-related hospitalizations and pre-term births in pregnant women: from evidence to public health practice in Canada, 83rd Canadian Pediatric Society Annual Meeting, June 13–17, 2006, St. John’s, NL Paediatr Child Health, 11 Suppl B: Abstract# 19B.Google Scholar
- National Advisory Committee on Immunization (2004), Statement on influenza vaccination for the 2004–2005 season. CCDR,30 (ACS-3): 1–32.Google Scholar
- National Advisory Committee on Immunization (2007). Statement on influenza vaccination for the 2007–2008 season. CCDR, 33 (ACS-7): 1–38.Google Scholar
- Registrar General’s Report 1918/1919 (1919). Eighty-second annual report of the registrar-general of births, deaths, and marriages in England and Wales (1919). Her Majesty's Stationery Office. p. xxviii.Google Scholar
- Stanwell-Smith R, Parker AM, Chakraverty P, Soltanpoor N, Simpson CN (1994). Possible association of influenza A with fetal loss: investigation of a cluster of spontaneous abortions and stillbirths. Commun Dis Rep CDR Review, 4: R28–R32.Google Scholar
- Steinhoff MC, Zaman K, Roy E, Arifeen SE, Rahman M, Raqib R, Shahid N (2006). Incidence of vaccine preventable influenza illness in 0–5 month-old infants. Infectious Disease Society of America. Toronto Canada. October 2006: Abstract LB-6.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (2007). Cumulative number of confirmed human cases of Avian Influenza A/(H5N1) Reported to WHO: July 11, 2007. www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/country/cases_table_2007_07_11/en/index.html.
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2009