Open Debridement of Noninsertional Achilles Tendinopathy
Although symptomatic Achilles tendinopathy can be managed nonoperatively, 1, 2 histologic analysis of tissue obtained at the time of surgery demonstrates degenerative fibrous tissue, no inflammatory cells, and no healing response. 3, 4 Surgical management of noninsertional Achilles tendinopathy is indicated when nonoperative management fails. Surgical options for noninsertional Achilles tendinopathy include the following:Percutaneous tenotomy can be applied to any case of Achilles tendinopathy, but is perhaps best reserved for mild-to-moderate Achilles tendinopathy. 5, 6, 7Open debridement affords a comprehensive evaluation and debridement of the diseased Achilles tendon, with the option for augmentation of the repair or reconstruction, and includes tenosynovectomy in virtually all...
Open Achilles debridement with repair of the residual Achilles tendon
Open Achilles debridement with reconstruction of the residual Achilles tendon
KeywordsAchilles Tendon Achilles Tendinopathy Flexor Hallucis Longus Open Debridement Diseased Tendon
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 3.Astrom M, Rausing A. Chronic Achilles tendinopathy. A survey of surgical and histopathologic findings. Clin Orthop Rel Res 1995;(316):151–64.Google Scholar
- 7.Testa V, Maffulli N, Capasso G,. et al. 1996; Percutaneous longitudinal tenotomy in chronic Achilles tendonitis. Bull Hosp Joint Dis 54:(4)241–4.Google Scholar
- 22.Pajala A, Kangas J, Ohtonen P,. et al. 2002; Rerupture and deep infection following treatment of total Achilles tendon rupture. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 84–A:(11)2016–21.Google Scholar
- 27.Tallon C, Coleman BD, Khan KM,. et al. 2001; Outcome of surgery for chronic Achilles tendinopathy. A critical review. Am J Sports Med 29:(3)315–20.Google Scholar
- 29.Benazzo F, Stennardo G, Valli M. 1996; Achilles and patellar tendinopathies in athletes: pathogenesis and surgical treatment. Bull Hosp Joint Dis 54:(4)236–40.Google Scholar
- 32.Leach RE, Schepsis AA, Takai H. Long-term results of surgical management of Achilles tendinitis in runners. Clin Orthop Rel Res 1992;(282):208–12.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008