Utilizing Linkage Disequilibrium and Association Mapping to Implement Candidate Gene Based Markers in Perennial Ryegrass Breeding
Development of accurate high-throughput molecular marker systems such as SNPs permits evaluation and selection of favourable gene variants to accelerate elite varietal production. SNP discovery in perennial ryegrass has been based on PCR amplification and sequencing of multiple amplicons designed to scan all components of the transcriptional unit.
KeywordsAssociation Mapping Perennial Ryegrass Cinnamyl Alcohol Dehydrogenase Lolium Perenne Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Locus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Devey, FFearon CH, Hayward MD, Lawrence MJ (1994) Self-incompatibility in ryegrass. 11. Number and frequency of alleles in a cultivar of Lolium perenne L. Heredity73: 262–264Google Scholar
- Faville, MVecchies AC, Schreiber M, Drayton MC, Hughes LJ, Jones ES, Guthridge KM, Smith KF, Sawbridge T, Spangenberg GC, Bryan GT, Forster JW (2004) Functionally-associated molecular genetic marker map construction in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne. L.) Theor Appl Genet 110: 12–32CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Heath, RHuxley H, Stone B, Spangenberg G (1998) cDNA cloning and differential expression of three caffeic acid O. -methyltransferase homologues from perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) J Plant Physiol 153: 649–657Google Scholar
- Jones, ELRoberts E (1991) A note on the relationship between palatability and water-soluble carbohydrates in perennial ryegrass. IrJ Agric Res 30: 163–167Google Scholar
- Skøt, LHumphreys J, Armstead IP, Humphreys MO, Gallagher JA, Thomas ID (2005a) Approaches for associating molecular polymorphisms with phenotypic traits based on linkage disequilibrium in natural populations of Lolium perenne. In: Humphreys MO (ed.) Molecular breeding of the genetic improvement of forage crops and turf. Wageningen Academic Publishers, the Netherlands, p 157Google Scholar
- Spangenberg, GCForster JW, Edwards D, John U, Mouradov A, Emmerling M, Batley J, Felitti S, Cogan NOI, Smith KF, Dobrowolski MP (2005) Future directions in the molecular breeding of forage and turf. In: Humphreys MO (ed.) Molecular breeding of the genetic improvement of forage crops and turf. Wageningen Academic Publishers, the Netherlands, 83–pp. 97Google Scholar