Cyclin-Dependent Kinase 5: A Critical Regulator of Neurotransmitter Release
Neurotransmitter release is tightly regulated through the specific control of the synaptic vesicle cycle, which is composed of Ca++-triggered exocytosis, endocytosis, and recycling. Various protein kinases have been implicated in the regulation of neurotransmitter release. Accumulating evidence indicates that cyclin-dependent kinase 5 (Cdk5) controls the multiple steps of neurotransmitter release through phosphorylation of the various substrates involved in synaptic vesicle exocytosis, endocytosis, neurotransmitter synthesis, Ca++ influx, and lipid signaling at presynaptic terminals—the distal ends of axons that specialize in neurotransmitter release. This study is an overview of the most recent information available concerning Cdk5-mediated phosphorylation as a critical regulatory mechanism for neurotransmitter release at presynaptic terminals.
KeywordsPC12 Cell Tyrosine Hydroxylase Synaptic Vesicle Neurotransmitter Release Presynaptic Terminal
This work was supported by KOSEF (R01-2007-000-11910-0) funded by the Korean government (MOST). This work was also supported by a Korea Research Foundation grant funded by the Korean Government (MOEHRD) (KRF-2007-331-E00198) and by the IBST Grant 2006 and 2007 from Inje University. Due to space limitation, the author regrets not being able to cite all relevant publications in this review.
- Bellen H (1999) Neurotransmitter release: Oxford university press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Cowan WM, Sudhof TC, Stevens CF, Davies K (2001) Synapses: The Johns Hopkins University Press, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Giovedi S, Vaccaro P, Valtorta F, Darchen F, Greengard P, Cesareni G, Benfenati F (2004b) Synapsin is a novel Rab3 effector protein on small synaptic vesicles. I. Identification and characterization of the synapsin I-Rab3 interactions in vitro and in intact nerve terminals. J Biol Chem 279:43760–43768.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Misura KM, Scheller RH, Weis WI (2000) Three-dimensional structure of the neuronal-Sec1-syntaxin 1a complex. Nature 404:355–362.Google Scholar
- Tomizawa K, Sunada S, Lu YF, Oda Y, Kinuta M, Ohshima T, Saito T, Wei FY, Matsushita M, Li ST, Tsutsui K, Hisanaga S, Mikoshiba K, Takei K, Matsui H (2003) Cophosphorylation of amphiphysin I and dynamin I by Cdk5 regulates clathrin-mediated endocytosis of synaptic vesicles. J Cell Biol 163:813–824.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar