Need for refrigerant mixtures
Cryogenic refrigerators and liquefiers were operated with pure fluids for much of the last century. The importance of using a mixture of refrigerants appears to have been first proposed in 1936 by Podbielniak , but was implemented in practice in the 1960s in large-scale natural gas liquefaction after the pioneering work of Kleemenko . The use of mixtures in refrigeration applications was pioneered in the former Soviet Union [4, 17]. In this chapter, the methods for overcoming the low exergy efficiency of refrigeration and liquefaction systems operating with pure fluids using refrigerant mixtures are discussed.
KeywordsHeat Exchanger Exergy Efficiency Exergy Loss Bubble Point Expansion Valve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Podbielniak, W. (1936). Art of refrigeration. U.S. Patent 2,041,725.Google Scholar
- Kleemenko, A. P. (1959). One flow cascade cycle. In Proc. of the 10th International Congress of Refrigeration, volume 1, pages 34–39.Google Scholar
- Alexeev, A. and Klipping, G. (2005). Cryogenics in Russia. In Proc. of the Twentieth International Cryogenic Engineering Conference (ICEC 20): Beijing, China, 11–14 May 2004, pages 1–8. Elsevier.Google Scholar
- NIST (2000). NIST-12 Thermodynamic and transport properties of pure fluids Database: Version 5.0.Google Scholar
- Knapp, H., Döring, R., Oellrich, L., Plöcker, U., and Prausnitz, J. M. (1981). Vapor-Liquid equilibria for mixtures of low boiling substances, volume VI. Dechema Chemistry Data Series.Google Scholar
- Lavrenchenko, G. K., Trotsenko, A. B., Ruvinsky, G. Y., Tabachnik, E. U., Balkin, B. N., and Balavachenko, B. U. (1983). Investigation of phase equilibria in binary mixtures of refrigerants with limits of mixing. Kholod. Tekh. Tekhnolog., 37:38–44.Google Scholar
- Alfeev, V. N., Brodyanskii, V., Yagodin, V., Nikolsky, V., and Ivantsov, A. (1973). Refrigerant for a cryogenic throttling unit. U.K. Patent 1,336,892.Google Scholar
- Barron, R. F. (1983). Cryogenic Systems. Oxford Press, second edition.Google Scholar
- Brodyanskii, V. M., Sorin, M. V., and Goff, P. L. (1994). The Efficiency of Industrial Processes: Exergy Analysis and Optimization. Elsevier Science B.V., Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- ASHRAE (1998). Chapter 39, ASHRAE Handbook-Refrigeration. ASHRAE, USA.Google Scholar