Updates to the MSFC Meteoroid Stream Model
- 633 Downloads
The Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) Meteoroid Stream Model simulates particle ejection and subsequent evolution from comets in order to provide meteor shower forecasts to spacecraft operators for hazard mitigation and planning purposes. The model, previously detailed in Moser and Cooke (Earth Moon Planets 95, 141 (2004)), has recently been updated; the changes include the implementation of the RADAU integrator, an improved planetary treatment, and the inclusion of general relativistic effects in the force function. The results of these updates are investigated with respect to various meteoroid streams and the outcome presented.
KeywordsAurigids Comet ejection Draconids Leonids Meteor shower Meteoroids Model predictions Numerical integration Perseids Stream model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. Everhart, in Dynamics of Comets: Their Origin and Evolutions, eds. by A. Carusi, G.B. Valsecchi (1985), pp. 185–202Google Scholar
- International Meteor Organization. ‘IMO Meteor Shower Calendar 2007.’ http://www.imo.net/calendar/2007. Cited 09 Jan 2007 (2007)
- G.W. Kronk, ‘The Alpha Aurigids.’ http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/alpha_aurigids.html. Cited 06 Nov 2006 (2006)
- G.W. Kronk, ‘Draconid History.’ http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/draconidhistory.html. Cited 08 Jan 2007 (2007)
- D.E. Moser, W.J. Cooke, Earth Moon Planets 95, 141–153 (2004)Google Scholar
- E.M. Standish, JPL IOM 312.F-98-048 (1998)Google Scholar