The Canadian Meteor Orbit Radar Meteor Stream Catalogue
The Canadian Meteor Orbit Radar is a multi-frequency backscatter radar which has been in routine operation since 1999, with an orbit measurement capability since 2002. In total, CMOR has measured over 2 million orbits of meteoroids with masses greater than 10 μg, while recording more than 18 million meteor echoes in total. We have applied a two stage comparative technique for identifying meteor streams in this dataset by making use of clustering in radiants and velocities without employing orbital element comparisons directly. From the large dataset of single station echoes, combined radiant activity maps have been constructed by binning and then stacking each years data per degree of solar longitude. Using the single-station mapping technique described in Jones and Jones (Mon Not R Astron Soc 367:1050–1056, 2006) we have identified probable streams from these single station observations. Additionally, using individual radiant and velocity data from the multi-station velocity determination routines, we have utilized a wavelet search algorithm in radiant and velocity space to construct a list of probable streams. These two lists were then compared and only streams detected by both techniques, on multiple frequencies and in multiple years were assigned stream status. From this analysis we have identified 45 annual minor and major streams with high reliability.
KeywordsMeteor streams Radar Meteoroids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.G. Burke, Cosmic Debris: Meteorites in History. (University of California Press, Berkeley, 1986)Google Scholar
- D.P. Galligan, J. Baggaley, in Dust in the Solar System and Other Planetary Systems, Proc. IAu Colloq. 181., eds. by S.F. Green, I.P. Williams, J.A.M. McDonnell, N. McBride (Pergamon, Oxford, 2002), pp. 42–47Google Scholar
- P.J. Jenniskens, Meteor Streams and Their Parent Comets. (Cambridge University Press, 2006)Google Scholar
- D.W.R. McKinley, Meteor Science and Engineering. (McGraw Hill, 1961)Google Scholar
- R.J. Weryk, P.G. Brown, Comparisons of Simultaneously Detected Electro-optical and Radar Meteors, Meteoroids2007. (Barcelona, 2007) this issueGoogle Scholar