Video Observations of the 2006 Leonid Outburst
We carried out double station observations of the Leonid meteor shower outburst, which occurred in the morning hours of November 19, 2006. Using image-intensified cameras we recorded approximately 100 Leonid meteors. As predicted, the outburst was rich especially in fainter meteors. The activity profile shows that the peak of the outburst occurred at 4:40 ± 0:05 UT. The maximum reached flux was 0.03 meteoroids km−2 hod−1 for meteors brighter than +6.5 magnitude.
KeywordsMeteors Meteor showers Leonids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Koten, Software for processing of meteor video records, In Proceedings of the Asteroids, Comets, Meteors 2002 conference, ed. by B. Warmbein, (ESA SP-500, Berlin, 2002), pp. 197–200Google Scholar
- P. Koten, J. Borovička, P. Spurný, S. Evans, H. Betlem, Atmospheric trajectories and light curves of shower meteors, Astron. Astrophys. 428, 683–690 (2004)Google Scholar
- R.H. McNaught, D.J. Asher, Leonid dust trails and meteor storms, WGN. J. Int. Meteor. Org. 27, 85–102 (1999)Google Scholar
- S. Molau, The meteor detection software MetRec, in Proceedings of the Meteoroids 1998 conference, ed. by W.J. Baggaley, V. Porubčan (Bratislava, 1999), pp. 131–134Google Scholar
- J. Vaubaillon, F. Colas, http://www.imcce.fr/en/ephemerides/phenomenes/meteor (2006)