Video Observations of the 2006 Leonid Outburst
- 635 Downloads
We carried out double station observations of the Leonid meteor shower outburst, which occurred in the morning hours of November 19, 2006. Using image-intensified cameras we recorded approximately 100 Leonid meteors. As predicted, the outburst was rich especially in fainter meteors. The activity profile shows that the peak of the outburst occurred at 4:40 ± 0:05 UT. The maximum reached flux was 0.03 meteoroids km−2 hod−1 for meteors brighter than +6.5 magnitude.
KeywordsMeteors Meteor showers Leonids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Koten, Software for processing of meteor video records, In Proceedings of the Asteroids, Comets, Meteors 2002 conference, ed. by B. Warmbein, (ESA SP-500, Berlin, 2002), pp. 197–200Google Scholar
- P. Koten, J. Borovička, P. Spurný, S. Evans, H. Betlem, Atmospheric trajectories and light curves of shower meteors, Astron. Astrophys. 428, 683–690 (2004)Google Scholar
- R.H. McNaught, D.J. Asher, Leonid dust trails and meteor storms, WGN. J. Int. Meteor. Org. 27, 85–102 (1999)Google Scholar
- S. Molau, The meteor detection software MetRec, in Proceedings of the Meteoroids 1998 conference, ed. by W.J. Baggaley, V. Porubčan (Bratislava, 1999), pp. 131–134Google Scholar
- J. Vaubaillon, F. Colas, http://www.imcce.fr/en/ephemerides/phenomenes/meteor (2006)