Overview of Mobile TV Standards and their CMOS Tuners
The upcoming switch to digital TV in most of the world has renewed interest in terrestrial tuner implementations. More importantly, digital video reception is emerging as the latest feature towards multimedia-enriched handheld devices. Mobile, battery operated devices require small size tuners that consume low power and are amenable to single-chip integration with the baseband demodulator.
In broadcast TV, the main standards expected to coexist worldwide are DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcast-Terrestrial) in Europe, ISDB-T (Integrated Services Digital Broadcasting-Terrestrial) in Japan based on OFDM modulation (Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing) and ATSC-DTV (Advanced Television Systems Committee-Digital TV) in the USA based on 8-VSB (Vestigial Sideband Modulation).
KeywordsPhase Noise Receive Signal Strength Indicator Noise Figure Local Oscillator Negative Bias Temperature Instability
The contributions of following people to the work described in this chapter are greatly acknowledged: Aris Kyranas, Yiannis Kokolakis, Stamatis Bouras, Ilias Bouras, Michalis Margaras, Kosmas Tsilipanos, George Kamoulakos, Charalambos Kapnistis, Spyros Kavadias, Nikos Kanakaris, Emmanouil Metaxakis, Christos Kokozidis, and Hamed Peyravi.
- 2.European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) (2006) Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB): DMB Video Service: User Application Specification, V1.1.1, ETSI TS 102 428, pp. 2005–06Google Scholar
- 3.International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) (2003) International Standard 62104, Characteristics of DAB Receivers, IEC 2003–3Google Scholar
- 5.Vassiliou I et al. (2006) A 0.18 μm CMOS, Dual-Band, Direct-Conversion DVB-H Receiver. Proc. IEEE Int. Solid-Stage Circuits Conf., pp. 606–607, February 2006Google Scholar
- 6.Vavelidis K et al. (2007) A 65 nm CMOS Multi-Standard, Multi-Band Mobile TV Tuner. European Solid-State Circuits Conf., pp. 424–427, September 2007Google Scholar
- 7.Connel L et al. (2002) A CMOS Broadband Tuner IC. Proc. IEEE Int. Solid-Stage Circuits Conf., pp. 400–401, February 2002Google Scholar
- 10.Fillatre V et al. (2007) A SiP Tuner with Integrated LC Tracking Filter for both Cable and Terrestrial TV Reception. Proc. IEEE Int. Solid-Stage Circuits Conf., pp. 208–209, February 2007Google Scholar
- 11.Gupta M et al. (2007) A 48-to-860MHz CMOS Direct-Conversion TV Tuner. Proc. IEEE Int. Solid-Stage Circuits Conf., pp. 206–207, February 2007Google Scholar
- 14.Womac M et al. (2006) Dual-Band Single-Ended-Input Direct Conversion DVB-H Receiver. Proc. IEEE Int. Solid-Stage Circuits Conf., pp. 610–611, February 2006Google Scholar
- 15.Infineon Technologies (2004) TUA6034, TUA6036 3-Band Digital TV Set-Top-Box Tuner IC. TAIFUN Version 2.5Google Scholar
- 16.European Information & Communications Technology Industry Association (EICTA) (2007) MBRAI 2.0 Mobile and Portable DVB-T/H Radio Access — Part 1: Interface specificationGoogle Scholar
- 17.Van Nee R and Prasad R (2000) OFDM for Wireless Multimedia Communications. Artech HouseGoogle Scholar