Equality of Educational Opportunity: The Coleman Report
In the 1950s and 1960s in the United States, social research had made considerable progress in the ability to study questions relevant to policy. Most such work had been done in economics. Advances in computers, research on sample surveys, and experience in studying complex questions provided a base for understanding strong investigations. One such strong investigation was the study made by James Coleman and colleagues, the central theme of this chapter.
KeywordsAcademic Achievement Educational Opportunity European Economic Community Bilingual Program Strong Investigation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bernstein, A. (2006). Mathematical theorist: Frederick Mosteller. Washington Post. July 25, 2006, B06.Google Scholar
- Bunker, J. P., Barnes, B. A., and Mosteller, F., editors (1977). Costs, Risks, and Benefits of Surgery. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Civil Rights Act of 1964, P.L. No. 88–352. 78 Stat. 241 (July 2, 1964).Google Scholar
- Coleman, J. S., Campbell, E. Q., Hobson, C. J., McPartland, J., Mood, A. M., Weinfeld, F. D., and York, R. L. (1966). Equality of Educational Opportunity. 2 volumes. Washington, D.C.: Office of Education, U. S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, U. S. Government Printing Office. OE-38001; Superintendant of Documents Catalog No. FS 5.238:-38001.Google Scholar
- Moses, L. E. and Mosteller, F. (1997). Experimentation: Just do it! Chap. 12 in B. D. Spencer, editor, Statistics and Public Policy (Festschrift in Honor of I. Richard Savage). New York: Oxford University Press. 212–232.Google Scholar
- Mosteller, F. (1999). How does class size relate to achievement in schools? Chap. 6 in S. E. Mayer and P. E. Peterson, editors, Earning and Learning. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institute Press and Russell Sage Foundation. 117–129.Google Scholar
- Mosteller, F. and Boruch, R. F., editors (2002). Evidence Matters: Randomized Trials in Education Research. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institute Press.Google Scholar
- Mosteller, F. and Moynihan, D. P., editors (1972). On Equality of Educational Opportunity: Papers Deriving from the Harvard University Faculty Seminar on the Coleman Report. New York: Random House.Google Scholar