After a talk I gave at a scientific meeting when I was middle-aged, a very elderly man introduced himself afterward as one of my former students. I thought he meant that he had been a student in our statistical television course on Continental Classroom, but he denied it. No, it was back at Carnegie Institute of Technology. I had almost forgotten that in my senior year there I had taught a night-school course.
The distribution of ages of participants in night-school courses is much different from that in daytime. I had taught this gentleman one course in algebra and trigonometry, and happily with that training he went on to become head of a large corporation in the steel industry. He did not actually claim that that experience was the main reason for his success, but I was willing to assume it.
KeywordsRandom Number Table College Entrance Examination Rand Health Spherical Trigonometry Policy Person
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bailar, J. C. III and Mosteller, F., editors (1986). Medical Uses of Statistics. Waltham, MA: NEJM Books.Google Scholar
- Fairley, W. B. and Mosteller, F., editors (1977). Statistics and Public Policy. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Finkelstein, M. O. (1979). Quantitative Methods in Law. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Ingelfinger, J. A., Mosteller, F., Thibodeau, L. A., and Ware, J. H. (1983). Biostatistics in Clinical Medicine. New York: Macmillan. 2nd edition, 1987.Google Scholar
- Kells, L. M., Kern, W. F., and Bland, J. R. (1940). Plane and Spherical Trigonometry. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Kershaw, D. and Fair, J., editors (1976). The New Jersey Income-Maintenance Experiment. Volume I: Operations, Surveys, and Administration. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Mosteller, F. (1959). Introductory Probability and Statistical Inference: An Experimental Course. Revised preliminary edition. New York: College Entrance Examination Board.Google Scholar
- Mosteller, F., Rourke, R. E. K., and Thomas, G. B. Jr. (1961a). Probability: A First Course. Derived from Probability with Statistical Applications. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Mosteller, F., Rourke, R. E. K., and Thomas, G. B. Jr. (1961b). Probability and Statistics. Official Textbook for Continental Classroom. Derived from Probability with Statistical Applications. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Mosteller, F., with a group of the Commission on Mathematics of the College Examination Board (1957). Introductory Probability and Statistical Inference for Secondary Schools. New York: College Entrance Examination BoardGoogle Scholar
- Newhouse, J. P. (1993). Free for All? Lessons from the RAND Health Insurance Experiment. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Watts, H. W. and Rees, A., editors (1977). The New Jersey Income-Maintenance Experiment. Volume II: Labor-supply Responses. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar