At Carnegie, working with E. G. Olds, I had a small taste of research, partly from my work for Olds and partly from my master’s thesis written with him. Still these did not do much to prepare me for research later. At Princeton, Wilks’s idea was that his students should produce a research paper early on to get them into the swing of such things and also to put Wilks himself in the position of being able to prove to the mathematics faculty, when the question of advancing to the doctoral dissertation came up, that the student could do publishable research. He proposed that I examine the distribution of runs above and below the mean.
KeywordsOrder Statistic Unbiased Estimator True Probability Acceptance Sampling American Soldier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Freeman, H. A., Friedman, M., Mosteller, F., Wallis, W. A., editors, and the Statistical Research Group of Columbia University (1948). Sampling Inspection. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Mizuki, M. (1966). The Number of Generalized Runs in a Markov Chain Sequence of a Fixed Length. Ph.D. thesis, Harvard University.Google Scholar
- Roy, S. N. (1939). p-statistics, or some generalizations on the analysis of variance appropriate to multivariate problems. Sankhy?, 3:341–396.Google Scholar
- Stouffer, S. A., Guttman, L., Suchman, E. A., Lazarsfeld, P. F., Star, S. A., and Clausen, J. A. (1950). Measurement and Prediction. Studies in Social Psychology in World War II, Vol. IV. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Stouffer, S. A., Lumsdaine, A. A., Lumsdaine, M. H., Williams, R. M. Jr., Smith, M. B., Janis, I. L., Star, S. A., and Cottrell, L. S. Jr. (1949). The American Soldier: Combat and Its Aftermath. Studies in Social Psychology in World War II, Vol. II. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Stouffer, S. A., Suchman, E. A., DeVinney, L. C., Star, S. A., and Williams, R. M. Jr. (1949). The American Soldier: Adjustment During Army Life. Studies in Social Psychology in World War II, Vol. I. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Wallis, W. A. and Moore, G. H. (1941). A Significance Test for Time Series and Other Ordered Observations. New York: National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar