Indigenous Land Claims in Canada: A Retrospective Analysis
Many indigenous people have been deprived of their lands and resources by military domination, unlawful and fraudulent settlements, forcible removal and relocation, and illegal expropriation. Since about 1950, a growing international movement has led to recognizing and protecting the specific rights of indigenous peoples by both international agencies and through national legislatures. This study analyzes the indigenous land claims process in Canada. It covers the evolution of a legal land claims process, focusing on specific claims before the Indian Claims Commission and the comprehensive claims with respect to the common types of claims in Canada, the methods of compensation/restitution, and the effectiveness of the present system. In addition, this study reports on and analyzes outcomes and suggests policy recommendations for other countries that are developing a process for indigenous peoples’ land claims.
KeywordsIndigenous People Specific Claim Land Claim Aboriginal Title Cash Compensation
- ARA Consulting Group, Inc., 1995, “Social and Economic Impacts of Aboriginal Land Claims Settlements: A Case Study Analysis”, http://www.gov.bc.ca
- Ceccherini, E., 2005, “Rights of Indigenous Peoples: The Constitutional Issues”, University of Siena, www.cst.ed.ac.uk/2005/conference/papers
- Deloria, Jr. V., “American Indians, American Justice”, University of Texas Press, 1983.Google Scholar
- Ervin, A. M., 1981, “Contrasts between the Resolution of Native Land Claims in the United States and Canada based on the Observations of the Alaska Native Land Claims Movement”, Department of Anthropology and Archaeology, University of Saskatchewan, www.brandonu.ca
- Hoggan, Debra M., 1981, “Land Rights of the Indigenous Peoples, International Agreements and Treaties, Land Reform and Systems of Tenure”,http://www.cwis.org/fwdp/International/Indright.txt
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, 2000, “Treaties with Aboriginal People in Canada”, www.inac.gc.ca
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, 2003, “Resolving Aboriginal Claims: A Practical Guide to Canadian Experiences”, www.ainc-inac.gc.ca
- Indian Specific Claims Commission, 2004, “Annual Report 2003–2004”, www.indianclaims.ca
- Indian Specific Claims Commission, 2006, “Annual Report 2005–2006”, www.indianclaims.ca
- Legare, A., 1996, “The Process Leading to a Land Claims Agreement and its Implementation: The Case of Nanavut Land Claims Settlements”, The Canadian Journal of Native Studies, XVI, 1:139–163.Google Scholar
- Milroy, L. O., 2002, “Towards an Independent Land Claims Tribunal: Bill C-6 in Context”, University of Victoria.Google Scholar
- Quiggin, J., 1993, “Common Property, Equality and Development”, World Development 21(7), 1123–1138, www.uq.edu.au
- Saskatchewan Indian, 1978, “History of the Indian Act”, http://collections.ic.gc.ca last referred in March 2006.
- Simons, R. A., 2006, “When Bad Things Happen To Good Property”, Washington DC:ELI Press. Chapter 3, Page 31.Google Scholar
- Sjaastad, E. and Bromley, D. W., 1996, “Indigenous Land Rights in Sub-Saharan Africa: Appropriation, Security and Investment Demand”, ideas.repec.org/p/wop/wiaesp/391.htmlGoogle Scholar
- United Nations, 1996, “Conclusions and Recommendations of the U. N. Experts Seminar on Indigenous Land Rights and Claims”, http://arcticcircle.uconn.edu
- United Nations, 2001, “Indigenous People and their Relationship to Land”, E/CN.4/Sub.2/2001/21, Final working paper prepared by the Special Rapporteur, Mrs. Erica-Irene A. Daes.Google Scholar
- United Nations Economic and Social Council, 1993, “Discrimination against Indigenous Peoples, Report of the Working Group on Indigenous Populations on its Eleventh Session”, Chairperson-Rapporteur: Erica-Irene A. Daes, U.N.Doc. E/CN.4/Sub.2.1993/29/Annex.Google Scholar
- Watts, R. L., 1998, “Federal Systems and Accommodation of Distinct Groups: A Comparative Survey of Institutional Arrangements for Aboriginal Peoples” Working Papers 1998 (3), IIGR, Queen’s University.Google Scholar
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_reserves, last referenced in May 2006.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Property, last referenced in May 2006.
- http://www.atns.net.au last referred in March 2006.
- http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/edumat/IHRIP/circle/modules/module18.htm, last referenced in May 2006.
- www.ainc-inac.gc.ca last referenced in July 2006.
- www.indianclaims.com last referenced in July 2006.
- www.thecanadianencyclopedia.comlast referenced in July 2006.
- Yates, C., 2004, “Conceptualising Indigenous Land Rights in the Commonwealth”, Commonwealth Policy Studies Unit.Google Scholar