Electromagnetic Waves in Anisotropic-Dispersive Media
In Chapters 1 and 3, we examined the basic theory of magnetism and developed a model for the magnetic susceptibility tensor of a saturated ferro- or ferrimagnetic insulator. In this chapter, we will examine the properties of electromagnetic waves traveling in media characterized by frequency-dependent electric and magnetic susceptibilities. We then combine this formalism with the Polder susceptibility tensor to obtain the properties of electromagnetic waves in saturated magnetic insulators.
KeywordsDispersion Relation Plane Wave Electromagnetic Wave Magnetic Energy Density Magnetic Susceptibility Tensor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. C. Jordan and K. G. Balmain, Electromagnetic Waves and Radiating Systems. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1968.Google Scholar
- J. D. Kraus and D. Fleisch, Electromagnetics with Applications. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1999.Google Scholar
- D. K. Cheng, Fundamentals of Engineering Electromagnetics. Reading, MA: Addison Wesley, 1993.Google Scholar
- H. C. Chen, Theory of Electromagnetic Waves: A Coordinate-Free Approach. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1983.Google Scholar
- H. A. Haus, Waves and Fields in Optoelectronics. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1984.Google Scholar
- J. A. Kong, Electromagnetic Wave Theory. Cambridge, MA: EMW Publishing, 2005.Google Scholar