Regardless of the path of activities you choose to pursue in K-12 outreach and engagement, evaluation will help you know when it “works” and help you learn when it doesn’t. In this chapter, evaluation is defined and distinguished from research and assessment. Ways to approach evaluation are described, including the use of qualita tive and quantitative methods and consideration of evaluation findings in formative and summative ways. Also included are a variety of resources useful for guiding the design and implementation of evaluation plans.
KeywordsScience Education Education Research Evaluation Plan Evaluation Question External Evaluator
- Anfara Jr VA, Brown KM, Mangione TL (2002) Qualitative analysis on stage: Making theresearch process more public. Educ Res 31:28–38.Google Scholar
- Creswell JW (2003) Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed method approaches(2nd ed). Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks CA.Google Scholar
- Dolan EL (2007) Grappling with the literature of education research and practice. CBE Life SciEduc 6:289–296.Google Scholar
- Drislane R, Parkinson G (2007) Online dictionary of the social sciences. Athabasca University.http://bitbucket.icaap.org/. Accessed 28 August 2007.
- Ercikan K, Roth WM (2006) What good is polarizing research into qualitative and quantitative? Educ Res 35:14–23.Google Scholar
- Feuer M, Towne L, Shavelson R (2002) Scientific culture and educational research. Educ Res 31:4–14.Google Scholar
- Frechtling J (2002) The 2002 user friendly handbook for project evaluation. National Science Foundation, Arlington VA . http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2002/nsf02057/. Accessed 25 April 2007.
- Guba EG, Lincoln YS (1989) Fourth generation evaluation. Sage Publications, Newbury Park CA. Google Scholar
- Hertle MD, Moreno N (2004) Peer evaluation cluster: Perspectives of a program officer and a grantee participant. Ann Meet Natl Inst Health Natl Cent Res Resour Sci Educ Partnership Award, February 26–29, St. Louis, MO. http://www.nahsep.org/hertlesepa.ppt Accessed 12 April 2007.
- Joint Committee for Standards of Educational Evaluation (1994) The program evaluation standards: How to assess evaluations of educational programs. Sage Publications,Thousand Oaks CA.Google Scholar
- Kearsley G (copyright 1994–2007). Explorations in learning & instruction: The theory into practice database. http://tip.psychology.org/ . Accessed 16 June 2007.
- Mosteller F, Nave B, Miech E (2004) Why we need a structured abstract in education research. Educ Res 33:29–34.Google Scholar
- Patton MQ (2002) Qualitative research & evaluation methods (3rd ed). Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks CA.Google Scholar
- Shavelson RJ, Towne L (Eds) (2002) Scientific research in education. National Academy Press, Washington DC.Google Scholar
- York P (2005) A funder's guide to evaluation: Leveraging evaluation to improve nonprofit effectiveness. Fieldstone Alliance, St. Paul MN.Google Scholar