Materials, Structures and Packaging
Realization of the Microengine and related devices is dependent on achieving four key requirements: 1. High peak cycle temperatures (1600–2500 K) 2. High peripheral speeds (400–600 m/s) 3. Effective bearings (air bearings for the microengine) 4. Reasonable individual component efficiencies.
KeywordsResidual Stress Failure Probability Glass Frit Weibull Modulus Wafer Curvature
The author would like to acknowledge all those who contributed to the Materials, Structures and Packaging tasks on the Microengine and related projects, including: Lallit Anand, Arturo Ayon, Shaun Berry, Kuo-Shen Chen, Dongwon Choi, Todd Harrison, Eugene Huang, Adam London, Hangqing Li, Kevin Lohner, Norihisa Miki, Bruno Miller, Hyung-Soo Moon, Anna Mracek, Erin Noonan, Yoav Peles, Christopher Protz, Dong-Jin Shim, Robert Shinavski, Christopher Spaddaccini, Hongwei Sun, Kevin Turner, Srikar Vengallatore, Douglas Walters, Wenjing Ye and Xin Zhang. SMS also is very grateful for the highly effective and rewarding collaborations across the whole Microengine project and for the various funding sources that made it all possible. He is especially thankful for the leadership and vision provided by Prof. Alan Epstein.
- 2.K.-S. Chen, “Micro-Engine Structural Design and Analysis”, Ph.D Thesis, MIT, 1998Google Scholar
- 6.H.-S. Moon, “Design of Si/SiC Hybrid Structures for a Micro-Engine” Ph.D Thesis, MIT 2002Google Scholar
- 9.C. D. Baertsch, K. F. Jensen, J. L. Hertz, H. L. Tuller, V. T. Srikar T. Vengallatore, S. M.Spearing, and M. A. Schmidt, “Fabrication and Structural Characterization of Self-Supporting Electrolyte Membranes for a Micro Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell” J. Mater. Res. 19(9), 2604–2615 2004CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.N. Miki, X. Zhang, R. Khanna, A. A. Ayón, D. Ward and S. M. Spearing “Multi-Stack Silicon-Direct Wafer Bonding for 3D MEMS Manufacturing” Sens. Actuators, A, Physical 103 (1–2), 194–201, 2003Google Scholar
- 15.X. Zhang, K.-S. Chen. and S. M. Spearing, “Thermal Mechanical Behavior of Thick PECVD Oxide Films for Power MEMS Applications,” Sens. Actuators, A, Physical, 103 (1–2), 263–270, 2003Google Scholar
- 16.D. Choi, R. J. Shinavski, W. S. Steffier, and S. M. Spearing, “Residual Stress Control in Thick LPCVD Polycrystalline 3C SiC Coatings on Si Substrates” J. Appl. Physics. 97(7), 074904, 2005Google Scholar
- 21.A. Ayón, X. Zhang, K. Turner, D. Choi, B. Miller, S. F. Nagle, and S. M. Spearing, “Characterization of Low Temperature Silicon Wafer Bonding for Power MEMS Applications,” Sens. Actuators, A, Physical 103(1–2), 1–8, 2003Google Scholar
- 26.D. Choi, “Refractory Materials for Micro-Engine Applications” MIT, Ph.D Thesis 2004Google Scholar
- 27.T. Harrison, “Packaging technologies for Power MEMS devices” MIT. SM, 2000.Google Scholar