Comparing Different Metadata Application Profiles for Agricultural Learning Repositories
Agricultural learning repositories can provide new opportunities for sharing, accessing, using and reusing learning resources online. Metadata plays a crucial role in such systems: apart from simply indexing resources, metadata makes it easier to discover a learning resource in a repository, as well as to decide about ways to use it for teaching or learning purposes. In the context of agricultural education and training, a variety of appropriate metadata standards may be selected, adapted and implemented for a learning repository. In this paper we introduce the concept of metadata for agricultural learning resources, and compare two particular cases: one application profile based on the Dublin Core Metadata Element Set (DCMES) and the other based on the IEEE Learning Object Metadata (LOM). The paper attempts to identify similarities and differences between the two case studies and to outline issues that have to be resolved in order to harmonize such efforts.
KeywordsMetadata Standard Metadata Record Application Profile Metadata Element Agricultural Education
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.BEN (2003) Biosci Education Network (BEN) Metadata Specification. AAAS for the Biosci Education Network Collaborative, Version 1.2.Google Scholar
- 2.xBio@gro (2005) Metadata Models for Bio@gro Content Objects (BCOs) Description. Bio@gro Technical Report.Google Scholar
- 3.Cebeci Z., Erdogan Y., Kara M. (2008) TrAgLor: A LOM-Based Digital Learning Objects Repository for Agriculture. In: Proc. of the 4th Int. Scientific Conference “eLearning and Software for Education (eLSE'08)”. 17–18 April 2008, Bucharest, Romania.Google Scholar
- 4.DC (2004) Dublin Core Metadata Element Set, Version 1.1: Reference Description. Dublin Core Org.Google Scholar
- 5.Duval E, Hodgins W, Sutton S, Weibel SL (2002) Metadata Principles and Practicalities. D-Lib Magazine, 8. http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april02/weibel/04weibel.html. Accessed 18 January 2008.
- 6.IEEE LOM (2002) Draft Standard for Learning Object Metadata. IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee, IEEE 1484.12.1–2002.Google Scholar
- 7.ISO (2004) Final Report on the “International LOM Survey”. ISO/IEC JTC1 SC36. http://jtc1sc36.org/doc/36N0871.pdf. Accessed 18 January 2008.
- 8.ISO/IEC (2005) Working Draft for ISO/IEC 19788-2 — Metadata for Learning Resources — Part 2: Data Elements. ISO/IEC JTC1 SC36.Google Scholar
- 9.Kraan W (2003) No one standard will suit all. The Centre for Educational Technology Interoperability Standards. http://www.cetis.ac.uk/content/20030513175232. Accessed 18 January 2008.
- 10.Manouselis N, Kastrantas K, Tzikopoulos A (2007) An IEEE LOM application profile to describe training resources for agricultural and rural SMEs. In: Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research (MTSR'07), Corfu, Greece.Google Scholar
- 11.NISO (2004) Understanding Metadata. National Information Standards Organisation, NISO Press.Google Scholar
- 12.Salokhe G, Onyancha I, Weinheimer J, Richards B, Le Hunte Ward F, Keizer J (2005) The AGRIS Application Profile for the International Information System on Agricultural Sciences and Technology. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Italy. http://www.fao.org/docrep/008/ae909e/ae909e00.htm. Accessed 18 January 2008.
- 13.Sanchez-Alonso S, Sicilia M-A (2007) Using an AGROVOC-based ontology for the description of learning resources on organic agriculture. In: Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research (MTSR'07), Corfu, Greece.Google Scholar
- 14.Steinacker A, Ghavam A, Steinmetz R (2001) Metadata Standards for Web-Based Resources. IEEE Multimedia, 70–76.Google Scholar
- 15.Stuempel H, Salokhe G, Aubert A, Keizer J, Nadeau A, Katz S, Rudgard S (2007) Metadata Application Profile for Agricultural Learning Resources. In: Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research (MTSR'07), Corfu, Greece.Google Scholar
- 16.Tzikopoulos A, Manouselis N, Vuorikari R (2007) An Overview of Learning Object Repositories. In: Northrup P (ed) Learning Objects for Instruction: Design and Evaluation, Hershey, PA: Idea Group Publishing, 29–55.Google Scholar
- 17.UN (2005) Triennial comprehensive policy review of operational activities for development of the United Nations system (59/250). United Nations General Assembly: Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on the report of the Second Committee. http://daccessdds.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N04/491/26/PDF/N0449126.pdf. Accessed 18 January 2008.
- 18.Zschocke T, Paisley C, Duval E, Beniest J (2005) CG Learning Object Metadata (LOM) Core. CGIAR ICT/KM OLR Project.Google Scholar