Behavioral Entropy of a Cellular Phone User
The increase of advanced service offered by cellular networks draws lots of interest from researchers to study the networks and phone user behavior. With the evolution of Voice over IP, cellular phone usage is expected to increase expo- nentially. In this paper, we analyze the behavior of cellular phone users and identify behavior signatures based on their calling patterns. We quantify and infer the re- lationship of a person’s randomness levels using information entropy based on the location of the user, time of the call, inter-connected time, and duration of the call. We use real-life call logs of 94 mobile phone users collected at MIT by the Real- ity Mining Project group for a period of nine months. We are able to capture the user’s calling behavior on various parameters and interesting relationship between randomness levels in individual’s life and calling pattern using correlation coeffi- cients and factor analysis. This study extends our understanding of cellular phone user behavior and characterizes cellular phone users in forms of randomness level.
KeywordsRandomness Level Information Entropy Scree Plot Phone User Mobile Phone User
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Massachusetts Institute of Technology: Reality Mining Project. Available: http://reality.media.mit.edu/Google Scholar
- 2.Eagle, N., and Pentlend, A.: Reality Mining: Sensing Complex Social Systems. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Vol. 10, No. 4, 2006.Google Scholar
- 3.Shanon, C.E.: A mathematical theory of communication. Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 27, pp.379-423 and 623-656, July and October 1948.Google Scholar
- 5.Jolliffe, I. T.: Principal ComponentAnalysis. 2nd ed. Springer Science+BusinessMedia, 1986, New York USA.Google Scholar
- 6.Eagle, N., Pentland, A., and Lazer, D.: Infering social network structure using mobile phone data. Proc. of National Academy of Sciences, 2006.Google Scholar
- 9.De Groen, P.: An introduction to total least squares. in Nieuw Archief voor Wiskunde, Vierde serie, deel 14, 1996, pp. 237-253.Google Scholar