Laser and Radiofrequency Ablation Procedures
Several ultrasound-guided interventional procedures have been proposed to treat benign thyroid nodules without open surgery. The basic principle is to destroy thyroid nodular tissue by physical means. Percutaneous ethanol injection (PEI) was introduced in 1990 and it has since proven to be very helpful in cystic benign thyroid nodules, whereas it is poorly effective in solid lesions and is discussed in Chapter 11. HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound) is a promising new interventional US-guided technique for solid nodules, illustrated in Chapter 13.
KeywordsThyroid Nodule Percutaneous Ethanol Injection Nodular Goiter Nodule Volume Benign Thyroid Nodule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.American Association of Clinical Endocrinoligists and Associazione Medici Endocrinologi (2006) Medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and management of thyroid nodules. Endocr Pract 12:63–102Google Scholar
- 15.Amabile G, Rotondi M, Chiara GD, Silvestri A, Filippo BD, Bellastella A, Chiovato L (2006) Low-energy interstitial laser photocoagulation for treatment of nonfunctioning thyroid nodules: therapeutic outcome in relation to pretreatment and treatment parameters. Thyroid 16:749–55PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Gambelunghe G, Fatone C, Ranchelli A, Fanelli C, Lucidi P, Cavaliere A, Avenia N, d’Ajello M, Santeusanio F, De Feo P (2006) A randomized controlled trial to evaluate the efficacy of ultrasound-guided laser photocoagulation for treatment of benign thyroid nodules. J Endocrinol Invest 29:RC23–6PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Cakir B, Topaloglu O, Gul K, Agac T, Aydin C, Dirikoc A, Gumus M, Yazicioglu K, Ersoy RU, Ugras S (2006) Effects of percutaneous laser ablation treatment in benign solitary thyroid nodules on nodule volume, thyroglobulin and anti-thyroglobulin levels, and cytopathology of nodule in 1 yr follow-up. J Endocrinol Invest 29:876–84PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Pacella CM, Bizzarri G, Francica G, Bianchini A, De Nuntis S, Pacella S, Crescenzi A, Taccogna S, Forlini G, Rossi Z, Osborn J, Stasi R (2005) Percutaneous laser ablation in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma with small tumors: analysis of factors affecting the achievement of tumor necrosis. J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:1447–1457PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Valcavi R, Pesenti M, Bertani A, Frasoldati A, Formisano D (2006) Percutaneous laser ablation (PLA) in 119 benign thyroid nodules. RSNA Annual Meeting SSC 15–04Google Scholar
- 27.Guglielmi R, Papini E, Pacella CM, Todino V, Bizzarri G (2006) Combined treatment of large toxic nodular goiter by percutaneous laser ablation and radioiodine 131I: a pilot study. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists 15th Annual Meeting & Clinical Congress Abstract Book: 72Google Scholar