The Archeological Investigations
Part of the Contributions To Global Historical Archaeology book series (CGHA)
The name “Te Puna” was used historically in several different ways, and the places Oihi, Te Puna, and Rangihoua may be confused (Heap 1964; Lee 1983). Savage (1973) used the term “Tippoona” in 1805 to refer to the settlement on Te Pahi Island and the adjacent mainland at the northern end of Wairoa Bay leading to Papuke. Marsden (Elder 1932), in the 1815 deed of sale for land at Oihi, used the same term to refer to the bay where Rangihoua, Oihi, and Te Puna are located, known today as Rangihoua Bay (Fig. 4.1).
KeywordsMission Station Window Glass Early Nineteenth Century Colocasia Esculenta Shell Midden
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008