Cheddar and Cheddar-Type Cheese
A chapter on the evaluation of Cheddar cheese has been included in all of the previous editions of Judging Dairy Products (Nelson and Trout, 1964) and Sensory Evaluation of Dairy Products (Bodyfelt et al., 1988); the current author/editor would like to acknowledge the excellent work of the authors of the five previous editions. Much of the text in the current chapter is the result of the careful work of the previous authors with addition of new materials, deletion of redundancies, and a rearrangement of the chapter.
KeywordsCheese Sample Cheddar Cheese Cheese Milk Color Defect Mold Contamination
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Bodyfelt, F.W. 1967. Lactic streptococci and the fruity flavor defect of Cheddar cheese. M. S. Thesis, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR. 118 pp.Google Scholar
- Bodyfelt, F.W., J. Tobias, and G.M. Trout. 1988. Chapter 8 – Sensory evaluation of cheese, in The Sensory Evaluation of Dairy Products. AVI, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York. 75 pp.Google Scholar
- Chandan, R.C. 1980a. Flavor problems in Cheddar cheese varieties. Dairy Rec. 81(4):117.Google Scholar
- Chandan, R.C. 1980b. Texture problems in Cheddar cheese. Dairy Rec. 81(6):94.Google Scholar
- Code of Federal Regulations 2008. Title 21-Food and drugs. Part 133. Cheese and cheese products. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC. http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_08/21efr133_08.html
- Davis, F.L. and B.A. Law(eds). 1984. Advances in the Microbiology and Biochemistry of cheese and fermented milk. Elsevier Applied Science, New York, 260 pp.Google Scholar
- Hong, C.M., W.L. Wendorff, and R.L. Bradley, Jr. 1995a. Factors affecting light-induced pink discoloration of annatto-colored cheese. J. Food Sci. 60: 94–97.Google Scholar
- Hong, C.M., W.L. Wendorff, and R.L. Bradley, Jr. 1995b. Effects of packaging and lighting on pink discoloration and lipid oxidation of annatto-colored cheeses. J. Dairy Sci. 78:1896–1902.Google Scholar
- Johnson, M. 2004. Revisiting calcium lactate crystals in cheese. Dairy Pipeline 16(1):1.Google Scholar
- Kosikowski, F.V. and G. Mocquot. 1958. Advances in Cheese Technology. FAO Agr. Studies No. 38. Food and Agricultural Organization, United Nations, Rome, Italy. 263 pp.Google Scholar
- Miller, G.D., J.K. Jarvis and L.D. McBean. 2000. Handbook of Dairy Foods and Nutrition, 2 nd Ed. National Dairy Council, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. 423 pp.Google Scholar
- NASCO. 2007. USDA Cheese Grading Kit. http://www.enasco.com/Buscar.do?q=cheese+grading Accessed: July 25, 2007.
- Nelson, J.A. and G.M. Trout. 1964. Chapter 7 – Judging and grading cheese in Judging Dairy Products, 4th Ed. Olsen Publishing Co., Milwaukee, WI. 80 pp.Google Scholar
- Price, W.V. 1943. Comments on tentative cheese grades.Cheese Reporter. Nov. 5. Madison, WI.Google Scholar
- Singh, T.K., M.A. Drake, and K.R. Cadwallader. 2003. Flavor of Cheddar cheese: A chemical and sensory perspective. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety 2. http://members.ift.org/NR/rdonlyres/D612A5D2-F351-4FD5-A6AB-4C8DD16B9F/0/crfsfsv2n4p01390162ms20020702.pdf. Accessed: August 20, 2006.
- Tucker, J.S., and M.E. Morgan. 1967. Decarboxylation of α-keto acids by Streptococcus lactis var. maltigenes. Appl. Microbiol. 15:694.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Marketing Service, Dairy Division. 1956. May 1. United States Standards for Grades of Cheddar Cheese. http://www.ams.usda.gov/standards/Cheddar.pdf Accessed: Jan. 16, 2007.
- USDA, Economic Research Service, Food Availability Data, Custom Queries.onomic http://www.ers.usda.gov/data/foodconsumption/FoodAvailQueriable.aspx#midForm Accessed: July 14, 2007.
- Van Slyke, L.L. and W.V. Price. 1979. Cheese. Ridgeview Publish. Co., Reseda, CA. 522 pp.Google Scholar
- Wendorf, W.L. 2007. Preventing color fade in grass-based natural cheeses. Dairy Pipeline 19:1.Google Scholar
- Wilson, H.L. and G.W. Reinbold. 1965. American Cheese Varieties. Pfizer Cheese Monographs. Chas. Pfizer & Co. Inc., New York. 67 pp.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008