Dairy Products Evaluation Competitions
Scorecard judging is a useful and practical tool for conducting the sensory evaluation of dairy products. Scorecards may serve as records for a processing plant or for routine and official use in the grading of dairy products (state or federal) and serve as the recording instrument for various county, state, regional, and national dairy product evaluation competitions. A scorecard is best defined as a tabulated list of the factors that contribute to or describe the quality of a product, with a numerical value assigned to each factor. The factors are generally arranged on a scorecard in alphabetical order, and oftentimes are categorized. For instance, the flavor attributes are commonly grouped at the document top, followed by an alphabetized list of body and texture attributes, with the appearance and color attributes listed at the bottom.
KeywordsDairy Product Product Category Sensory Evaluation Dairy Industry Eating Quality
- Bodyfelt, F.W. 1980. The dairy industries greatest asset: Quality. Dairy and Food Sanit. 1(6): 26–30.Google Scholar
- Bodyfelt, F.W. 1983. Quality the consumer can taste: A primer on quality assurance procedures that produce excellent milk flavor. Dairy Rec. 84(11): 170–174.Google Scholar
- Bodyfelt, F.W., Tobias, J., and Trout, G.M. 1988. Sensory evaluation of cultured dairy products. In The Sensory Evaluation of Dairy Products. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, pp. 227–299.Google Scholar
- Bradley, R.L. Jr. 1980. Effect of light on alteration of nutritional value and flavor of milk: A review. J. Food Prot. 43(4): 314–320.Google Scholar
- Bradley, D.G., Kim, H.J., and Min, D.B. 2006. Effects, quenching mechanisms, and kinetics of water soluble compounds in riboflavin photosensitized oxidation of milk. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54: 6016–6020.Google Scholar
- Gamroth, M. and Bodyfelt, F.W. 1980. Q-Wallet-y: Off-flavors can hit you in the pocketbook. Dairy Herd Manage. 6: 19–21.Google Scholar
- Kelly, E., Babcock, C.J., and Leete, C.S. 1929. United States Department of Agriculture Department Circular 384. Washington, D. C.Google Scholar
- Nelson, J.A. and Trout, G.M. 1951. Judging Dairy Products, 3rd Edition. Milwaukee, WI: The Olsen Publishing Co. 480 p.Google Scholar
- The American Cheese Society. 2006. Annual Competition and Judging. http://www.cheesesociety.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=5. Date accessed: October 10, 2006.
- Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association. 2008. www.wisccheesemakersassn.org/. Date accessed: July 21, 2008.
- Wisconsin Dairy Products Association. 2006. World Dairy Expo Championship Dairy Product Contest. http://www.wdpa.net/. Date accessed: October 10, 2006.
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008