Careers that Combine Culinary and Food Science
Imagine yourself perusing the aisles of your local grocery store. You head down the frozen food section and, being a cost-conscious shopper with little to no time to cook, you choose a seemingly delectable heat-and-serve meal of grilled chicken medallions and sautéed spinach doused in a mushroom sauce. Taking a closer look at the bag, you ask yourself, is this a delicious food concoction of culinary art or of food technology?
KeywordsFood Science Private Label Food Company Local Grocery Store Cooking Technique
- Cooper, Carolyn. “A Fine Balance.” June 2006. Research Chefs in Canada. August 2007. www.foodincanada.com.
- Cousiminer, Jeffrey. “Practicing Culinology.” January 1999. Food Product Design. August 2007. www.foodproductdesign.com/archive/1999/0199 cc.html
- “Culinology program overview.” University of Nebraska-Lincoln Nutrition and Health Sciences. October 2007. www.cehs.unl.edu/nhs/undergrad/culinology.html.
- Doyle, Anneliese. “Science in the Kitchen.” June 2006. Research Chefs in Canada. August 2007. www.foodincanada.com.
- Grunlund, Maura. “Food Trade proves consumers want it all.” Newhouse News Service. 10/03/2007. pp. 1–3.Google Scholar
- Hahne, Bill. “Education Benefits Chefs, Food Formulators-Guide to Culinary and Chef Techniques.” December 2001. Prepared Foods. August 2007. www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3289/is_12_170/ai_80749070/pg_1.
- Institute of Food Technologists. August 2007. www.ift.org.
- Luff, Steven. A. “The Push to Professional-Certification Programs.” October 2002. Food Product Design. August 2007. www.foodproductdesign.com/archive/2002/1002RD.html.
- Molecular Gastronomy Resources. October 2007. www.alacuisine.org/alacuisine/2004/11/molecular_gastr.html.
- Research Chefs Association. August 2007. www.culinology.com.
- The Culinary Institute of America. August 2007. www.ciachef.edu.