The Most Promising Tool is Partly the Cause
World Space plans to reach 200 million households in the world’s emerging markets by direct broadcast satellite.
NSamara will use three satellites to bring direct-to-person digital audio broadcasting to many third world markets by using digital, portable, small receivers.
Grameen-Phone markets cell phones to 35,000 villages in Bangladesh by hiring village women as agents who lease phone time to other villagers, one call at a time.
Colgate-Palmolive rolls into Indian villages with video vans that show the benefit of toothbrushing and expected to earn over half of its Indian revenue from rural areas by 2003.
An Indian-Australian car manufacturer created an affordable rural transport vehicle to compete with “bullock carts” rather than cars. The vehicle functions well at low speeds and carries up to two tons.
Fiat developed a “third world car,” the Palio that far outsells the Ford Fiesta in Brazil and that will be launched in other developing nations.
Corporacion GEO builds low-income...
KeywordsSocial Capitalism Foreign Direct Investment World Country Economic Progress Greed Factor
- Chua, Amy (2003), World On Fire, New York: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- Friedman, Thomas L. (2000), The Lexus and the Olive Tree, New York: Anchor Books.Google Scholar
- Globalization (2001), London: The Economist.Google Scholar
- Hertz, Noreena (2001), The Silent Take Over, New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, Jeffrey, Forste, Eric Watt., Stahlman, Mark (2006), Social Capitalism, London: Hypermedia Research Center, Westminster University.Google Scholar
- Samli, A. Coskun (1985), Technology Transfer, Westport, CT: Greenwood.Google Scholar
- Samli, A. Coskun (2002), In Search of an Equitable and Sustainable Globalization, Westport, CT: Quorum Books.Google Scholar
- Samli, A. Coskun (2004), Entering and Succeeding in Emerging Countries, Mason, OH: Thomson Southwestern.Google Scholar
- Stiglitz, Joseph E. (2002), Globalization and Its Discontents, New York: W. W. Norton and Company.Google Scholar