Integrated Care in a Cardiac Rehabilitation Program: Benefits and Challenges
In this chapter, we present an overview of our current CR program followed by the case of Ms. A, a patient who was successfully treated within this program. We then discuss the benefits as well as the challenges of collaborative care in CR programs. To illustrate some of the challenges in more detail, we describe a former CR program that failed, explore the reasons for its failure, and discuss how it was successfully reorganized using the core concepts of Peek’s three world view.6 Throughout the chapter, we will highlight the core concepts that are critical for developing and implementing a successful collaborative CR program.
KeywordsCase Manager Motivational Interview Cardiac Rehabilitation Behavioral Medicine Collaborative Care
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wenger NK, Froelicher ES, Smith LK, Ades PA, Berra K, Blumenthal JA, et al. Cardiac Rehabilitation: Clinical Practice Guideline No. 17.Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.American Association for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Guidelines for Cardiac Rehabilitation and Secondary Prevention Programs.4th ed. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2004.Google Scholar
- 6.Peek CJ. Bringing other cultures together: harmonizing the clinical, operational, and financial perspectives of health care. In: Patterson J, Peek CJ, Heinrich RL, Bischoff RJ, Scherger J, eds. Mental Health Professionals in Medical Settings: A Primer.New York: Norton; 2002:45–57.Google Scholar
- 10.Wise D, Rosqvist J. Explanatory style and well-being. In: Thomas JC, Segal DL, Hersen M, eds. Comprehensive Handbook of Personality and Psychopathology, Vol. 1: Personality and Everyday Functioning.Hoboken, NJ: Wiley; 2006:283–305.Google Scholar
- 11.Collins CA, Butryn ML, Jennings EG. Use of readiness for change in cardiac rehabilitation programs. In: Kraus WE, Ketetyian SJ, eds. Contemporary Cardiology: Cardiac Rehabilitation in Clinical Practice.Totowa, NJ: Humana Press: In press.Google Scholar