Genetic Programming and Financial Trading: How Much About "What We Know"
KeywordsStock Market Genetic Programming Trading Strategy Stock Index Foreign Exchange Market
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
An earlier version of the paper was presented as a plenary speech at the First International Symposium on Advanced Computation in Financial Markets (ACFM’2005), Istanbul, Turkey, December 15–17, 2005. The authors greatly benefited from the interaction with conference participants, particularly from the chair Uzay Kaymak. The authors are also grateful to one anonymous referee for the very helpful suggestions. The research support from NSC 94-2415-H-004-003 is greatly acknowledged.
- 4.Chen, S.-H. Modeling volatility with genetic programming: A first report. Neural Network World, 8(2):181–190, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, S.-H. On the relevance of genetic programming in evolutionary economics. In K. Aruka, Editor, Evolutionary Controversy in Economics towards a New Method in Preference of Trans Discipline. Springer-Verlag, Tokyo, 2001, pages 135–150.Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, S.-H., and Chie, B.-T. A functional modularity approach to agent-based modeling of the evolution of technology. In A. Namatame, T. Kaizouji, and Y. Aruka, Editors, Economics and Heterogeneous Interacting Agents. Springer, New York, forthcoming, 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, S.-H., and Kuo, T.-W. Trading strategies on trial: A comprehensive review of 21 practical trading strategies over 56 listed stocks. In Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Multimedia Applications (ICCIMA 2001), IEEE Computer Society Press, 2001, pages 66–71.Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, S.-H., and Kuo, T.-W. Discovering hidden patterns with genetic programming. In S.-H. Chen and P. P. Wang, Editors, Computational Intelligence in Economics and Finance. Springer-Verlag, New York, 2003a, pages 329–347.Google Scholar
- 9.Chen, S.-H., and Kuo, T.-W. Modeling international short-term capital flow with genetic programming. In K. Chen et al., Editors, Proceedings of 7th Information Sciences (JCIS 2003), September 26–30, 2003, Cary, NC, 2003b, pages 1140–1144.Google Scholar
- 10.Chen, S.-H., and Kuo, T.-W. Overfitting or poor learning: A critique of current financial applications of GP. In C. Ryan, T. Soule, M. Keijzer, E. Tsang, R. Poli, and E. Costa, Editors, Genetic Programming. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2610, Springer, New York, 2003c, pages 34–46.Google Scholar
- 11.Chen, S.-H., Kuo, T.-W., and Shien, Y.-P. Genetic programming: A tutorial with the software simple GP. In S.-H. Chen, Editor, Genetic Algorithms and Genetic Programming in Computational Finance. Kluwer, New York, 2002, pages 55–77.Google Scholar
- 12.Granville, J. E. New Strategy of Daily Stock Market Timing for Maximum Profit. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1976.Google Scholar
- 13.Koza, J. Genetic Programming: On the Prorgamming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1992.Google Scholar
- 14.Koza, J. Genetic Programming II: Automatic Discovery of Reusable Programs. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1994.Google Scholar
- 15.Koza, J., Bennett III, F., Andre, D., and Keane, M. Genetic Programming III: Darwinian Invention and Problem Solving, Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, 1999.Google Scholar
- 16.Koza, J., Keane, M., Streeter, M., and Mydlowec, W. Genetic Programming IV: Routine Human-Competitive Machine Intelligence. Springer, New York, 2005.Google Scholar
- 20.O’Neill, M., Brabazon, A., and Ryan, C. Forecasting market indices using evolutionary automatic programming. In S.-H. Chen, Editor, Genetic Algorithms and Genetic Programming in Computational Finance, Kluwer, New York, 2002, pages 175–195.Google Scholar
- 21.Pereira, R. Forecasting ability but no profitability: An empirical evalaution of genetic algorithm-optimised technical trading rules. In S.-H. Chen, Editor, Evolutionary Computation in Economics and Finance. Physica-Verlag, Berlin, 2002, pages 287–310.Google Scholar
- 26.Yu, T., Chen, S.-H., and Kuo, T.-W. Discovering financial technical trading rules using genetic programming with lambda abstraction. In U.-M., O’Reilly, T. Yu, R. Riolo, and B. Worzel, Editors, Genetic Programming Theory and Practice II. Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York, 2004, pages 11–30.Google Scholar