Indirect Inguinal Hernia
As techniques for laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair have become standardized, the remaining questions center on indications. The case of a young laborer with a clinically significant indirect inguinal hernia has been chosen to highlight some of these issues. Chapter 39 addresses the issue of which laparoscopic technique to use, if an endoscopic repair is chosen, through a slightly different case scenario.
KeywordsHernia Repair Inguinal Hernia Inguinal Hernia Repair Laparoscopic Repair Veteran Administration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Schrenk P, Woisetschlager R, Rieger R, et al. Prospective randomized trial comparing postoperative pain and return to physical activity after transabdominal preperitoneal, total preperitoneal or Shouldice technique for inguinal hernia repair. Br J Surg 1997;84(5):728–729.Google Scholar
- Vale L, Grant A, McCormack K, Scott NW, EU Hernia Trialists Collaboration. Cost-effectiveness of alternative methods of surgical repair of inguinal hernia. Int J Technol Assess Health Care 2004;20:192-200.Google Scholar
- Collaboration EH. Laparoscopic compared with open methods of groin hernia repair: systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Br J Surg 2000;87:860-867.Google Scholar
- Grant AM, EU Hernia Trialists Collaboration. Laparoscopic versus open groin hernia repair: meta-analysis of randomized trials based on individual patient data. Hernia 2002;6:2-10.Google Scholar
- McCormack K, Scott NW, Go PM, Ross S, Grant AM, EU Hernia Trialists Collaboration. Laparoscopic techniques versus open techniques for inguinal hernia repair. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003;1:CD001785.Google Scholar
- McCormack K, Scott NW, Go PM, et al., on behalf of the EU Hernia Trialists Collaboration. Laparoscopic techniques versus open techniques for inguinal hernia repair (Cochrane Review). The Cochrane Library 2005;2.Google Scholar
- Ramshaw B, Frankum C, Young D, et al. 1000 total extraperitoneal (tep) laparoscopic herniorrhaphies: after the learning curve. Published proceedings from the 7th World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery, June 2000.Google Scholar
- Wake BL, McCormack K, Fraser C, et al. Transabdominal pre-peritoneal (TAPP) vs totally extraperitoneal (TEP) laparoscopic techniques for inguinal hernia repair. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005;1.Google Scholar