Medical Versus Surgical Management of Uncomplicated Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
Significant advances have occurred in both medical and surgical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), an extremely common condition in the United States and other industrialized nations. This chapter explores the pros and cons of medical versus surgical management of uncomplicated GERD. Subsequent chapters deal with other related issues, and a chapter introducing endoscopic options for management is included later in Chapter 42. The importance of this topic is underscored by development of a protocol for systematic review of the topic (Wileman et al.), the results of which have not yet been published.
KeywordsProton Pump Inhibitor Lower Esophageal Sphincter GERD Symptom Erosive Esophagitis Proton Pump Inhibitor Therapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Wileman SM, McLeer SK, Campbell MK, Mowat NAG, Krukowski ZH, Grant AM. Laparoscopic fundoplication versus medical management for gastro-oesphageal reflux disease in adults (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2001;CD003243.Google Scholar
- Donnelan C, Sharma N, Preston C, Moayyedi P. Medical treatments for the maintenance therapy of reflux oesophagitis and endoscopic negative reflux disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2004;4:CD003245.Google Scholar
- GERDsurgery.info. Information about GERD surgery (surgery for heartburn, antireflux surgery) brought to you by the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES). http://www.gerdsurgery.info/.
- Heidelbaugh JJ, Nostrant TT, Kim C, van Harrison R. Management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Am Fam Physician 2003;68:1311-1318,1321-1322.Google Scholar
- Lundell L, et al. Continued followup of a randomized clinical study comparing antire-flux surgery and omeprazole in gastroesophageal reflux disease. J Am Coll Surg 2001;192:1722-1729.Google Scholar
- SAGES Guidelines for Surgical Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). http://www.sages.org/sagespublication.php?doc=22.