Exercise Testing as Applied to the Preoperative Patient
In the course of a month you are asked to see three patients preoperatively for surgical clearance. The following three cases are probably representative of patients you see on a daily basis in the office.
KeywordsMyocardial Perfusion Imaging Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Peripheral Artery Disease Cardiac Risk Noncardiac Surgery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eagle KA, Brundage BH, Chaitman BR, et al. Guidelines for perioperative cardiovascular evaluation for noncardiac surgery. Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Committee on Perioperative Cardiovascular Evaluation for Noncardiac Surgery. Circulation 1996;93:1278–1317.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Best PJ, Tajik AJ, Gibbons RJ, et al. The safety of treadmill exercise stress testing in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms. Am Intern Med 1998;129:628.Google Scholar
- 17.Lette J, Waters D, Cerino M, et al. Preoperative coronary artery disease risk stratification based on dipyridamole imaging and a simple three-step, three-segment model for patients undergoing noncardiac vascular surgery or major general surgery. Am J Cardiol 1992;69:1553.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Jeger R, Probst C, Arsiner R. Long-term prognostic value of preoperative 12-lead electrocardiogram before major noncardiac surgery in coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 2006;151(2):1508–13.Google Scholar
- 19.Devereaux PJ, Goldman L, Yusef S, et al. Surveillance and prevention of major perioperative ischemic cardiac events in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a review. CAMJ 2005;173:779.Google Scholar
- 25.Lindenauer PK, Pekow P, Wang K, et al. Perioperative beta-blocker therapy and mortality after major noncardiac surgery. N Engl J Med;353:349–61.Google Scholar
- 27.Devereaux PJ, Beattie WS, Choi PT, et al. How strong is the evidence for use of perioperative beta-blockers in non-cardiac surgery? Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMJ 2005;313–21.Google Scholar
- 28.Pasternack PF, Grossi EA, Baumann FG, et al. Beta-blocker to decrease silent myocardialischemia during peripheral vascular surgery. Am J Surg 1989;158:113–6.Google Scholar