ilab.1: A University-industry Collaboration to Enhance Health Plan Services
There is an urgent need to transform all elements of the U.S. health care services system. Concerns about increasing costs and questions about quality have moved the health care system to center stage on the nation's agenda.
Within this system, health plans are a critical component. They provide insurance financing for health care services, and participate in efforts to increase health care quality and reduce health care costs. iLab.1, the Information Laboratory for Health Plans, is a new collaboration between Rochester Institute of Technology and Excellus Health Plan, Inc. The Lab's programs and activities seek to enhance health plan services by developing system architectures, processes, and tools for increasing the availability, exchange, and sharing of health care and health services information. Increased information availability is considered to be a necessary condition for moving the transformation forward.
KeywordsHealth Care Service Health Plan Reduce Health Care Cost Health Care Information Claim Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Center for Health Transformation. (2005). Accelerating transformation through health information technology. <http://www.healthtransformation.net/content/events/special_events/1865.cfm>
- Lasky, J. A., and Cardillo, M. (2004). Designing a cooperative education program to support an IT strategic plan. Proc. 5th Conference on Information Technology Education, 106-110. Available from ACM Digital Library.Google Scholar
- Luckham, D. (2002). The Power of Events. Addison-Wesley, Boston MA.Google Scholar
- Porter, M. E. and Teisberg, E. O. (2006). Redefining Health Care: Creating Value-Based Competition on Results. Harvard Business School Press, Boston MA.Google Scholar
- The Serious Games Initiative. An overview is at <www.seriousgames.org/about2.html>; the site includes a link to Games for Health.