Video Fire Detection – Techniques and Applications in the Fire Industry
Video fire detectors use a relatively new technology compared with traditional heat sensors, smoke sensors, or gas detectors. We first review different fire detection methods and put video fire detection into the general fire detection arena. We then review various video fire detection methods, including those for both flame detection and smoke detection. We next describe our contributions to this area of research. We conclude with our thoughts for the challenges in this field and predict promising research directions.
KeywordsFalse Alarm Fire Detection Heat Sensor Smoke Detection High False Alarm Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Catrakis, H.J., and Dimotakis, P.E., "Shape Complexity in Turbulence," Physical Reviews Letters, vol. 80, no. 5, 2 Feb 1998, pp. 968–971 aeronautics.eng.uci.edu/catrakis_d.1998.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 2.Catrakis, H.J., Aguirre, R.C., Ruiz-Plancarte, J., and Thayne, R.D., "Shape complexity of whole-field three-dimensional space-time fluid interfaces in turbulence", Physics of Fluids, vol. 14, no. 11, 2002, pp. 3891–3898.Google Scholar
- 4.Fujiwara, N., and Terada, K., “Extraction of a smoke region using fractal coding”, IEEE International Symposium on Communications and Information Technology, 2004, ISCIT 2004, vol. 2, 26–29 Oct. 2004, pp. 659–662.Google Scholar
- 5.Grech-Cini, H.J., “Smoke Detection”, US Patent No. US6844818B2, 2005.Google Scholar
- 6.Healey, G., Slater, D., Lin, T., Drda, B., and Goedeke, D., “A system for real-time fire detection”, Proceedings of International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 605–606, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, C.-B., and Ahuja, N., "Vision Based Fire Detection", Pattern Recognition, 17th International Conference on (ICPR’04), vol. 4, pp. 134–137, Aug. 23–26, 2004, Cambridge UK.Google Scholar
- 10.Privalov, G., and Shakhutdinov, A.Z., “Fire suppression system and method”, US Patent No. US6975225B2, 2005.Google Scholar
- 11.Stauffer, C., and Grimson, W.E.L., "Adaptive Background Mixture Models for Real-Time Tracking", Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 1999.Google Scholar
- 12.Toreyin, B.U., Dedeoglu, Y., and Cetin, A.E., “Wavelet based real-time smoke detection in video,” in EUSIPCO ’05, 2005.Google Scholar