Phasor Measurement Units and Phasor Data Concentrators
The history of phasor measurement unit (PMU) evolution was discussed in Chapter 1. In this chapter we will consider certain practical implementation aspects of the PMUs and the architecture of the data collection and management system necessary for efficient utilization of the data provided by the PMUs. One of the most important features of the PMU technology is that the measurements are time-stamped with high precision at the source, so that the data transmission speed is no longer a critical parameter in making use of this data. All PMU measurements with the same time-stamp are used to infer the state of the power system at the instant defined by the time-stamp. It is clear that PMU data could arrive at a central location at different times depending upon the propagation delays of the communication channel in use. The time-tags associated with the phasor data provide an indexing tool which helps create a coherent picture of the power system out of such data. The Global...
KeywordsGlobal Position System Power System Transmission Control Protocol Global Position System Receiver Configuration File
- 1.Phadke, A.G. and Thorp, J.S., “Computer relaying” (book), Research Studies Press, John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- 2.“IEEE Standard for Synchrophasors for Power Systems”, C37.118-2005. Sponsored by the Power System Relaying Committee of the Power Engineering Society, pp 56–57.Google Scholar
- 3.Khatib, A.-R.A., “Internet-based Wide Area Measurement Applications in Deregulated Power Systems” , Ph.D. Dissertation Virginia Tech, July 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.Snyder, A.F. et al., “Delayed-Input Wide-Area Stability Control with Synchronized Phasor Measurements and Linear Matrix Inequalities”, Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, 2000. Vol. 2, 16–20 July 2000, pp 1009–1014.Google Scholar
- 5.Horowitz, S.H. and Phadke, A.G., “Power System Relaying”, (book), Second Edition, Research Studies Press Ltd., Reprinted May 2004, Chapter 6.
- 6.Hecht, J., Understanding Fiber Optics, 4th ed., Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA 2002 (ISBN 0-13-027828-9).Google Scholar
- 7.Internet Protocol - DARPA Internet Program Protocol Specification”, Postel, J. (ed.), RFC 791, USC/Information Sciences Institute, September 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Postel, J.,“Internet Protocol,” RFC 760, USC/Information Sciences Institute, January 1980.Google Scholar
- 9.Apostolov, A. “Communications in IEC 61850 Based Substation Automation Systems”, Power Systems Conference: Advanced Metering, Protection, Control, Communication, and Distributed Resources, 2006. PS '06, 14–17 March 2006, pp 51–56.Google Scholar
- 10.“IEEE Standard for Synchrophasors for Power Systems”, IEEE 1344-1995. Sponsored by the Power System Relaying Committee of the Power Engineering Society.Google Scholar
- 11.Depablos, J., Centeno, V., Phadke, A.G., and Ingram, M., “Comparative testing of synchronized phasor measurement units”, Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 2004. IEEE, Vol. 1, 6–10 June 2004, pp 948–954.Google Scholar
- 12.“IEEE Standard Common Format for Transient Data Exchange (COMTRADE) for Power Systems”, IEEE C37.111-1991, Sponsored by the Power System Relaying Committee of the Power Engineering Society.Google Scholar