Diffraction from Crystals
Since our emphasis is on crystalline materials, we will first discuss how the details of the crystal symmetry affect the DPs we expect to see. What we’re doing here is taking the concepts of the reciprocal lattice and applying it to particular examples. There are two basic lessons.
KeywordsReciprocal Lattice Vanadium Carbide Superlattice Reflection International Table Atomic Scattering Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Examples of indexed DPs are given in the texts by Edington and Andrews et al. As usual, we recommend your checking the books by Kelly and Groves, Cullity.Google Scholar
DPs and Crystal Data
- Andrews, KW, Dyson, DJ and Keown, SR (1971) Interpretation of Electron Diffraction Patterns 2nd Ed. Plenum Press New York. Stereographic projections, angles, spacings, and much more.Google Scholar
- Massalski, T, Okamoto, H, Subramanian, PR and Kacprzak, L (Eds.) (1990) Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams 2nd Ed. ASM International Materials Park OH. Appendix A1 gives a complete list of the Pearson Symbols (L12, etc.) with their space group and Strukturbericht designation.Google Scholar
- Misell, DL and Brown, EB (1987) Electron Diffraction: An Introduction for Biologists, Volume 12 of the series Practical Methods in Electron Microscopy Ed. AM Glauert Elsevier New York. Materials science students should not be put off by the title: this is an invaluable practical guide to indexing DPs and more.Google Scholar
- Dodsworth, J, Kohlstedt, DL and Carter, CB 1983 Grain Boundaries in Transition Metal Carbides Adv. Ceram. 6 102–109.Google Scholar
- Frank, FC 1965 On Miller-Bravais Indices and Four-Dimensional Vectors Acta Cryst. 18 862–866. A favorite.Google Scholar
- Hahn, T 1988 International Tables for Crystallography. Brief teaching edition of volume A, space-group symmetry, Kluwer Academic Publishers Dordrecht Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Ibers, JA 1957 New Atomic Form Factors for Beryllium and Boron Acta Cryst. 10 86. One page.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, ML, Katerbau, K-H and Wilkens, M 1976 Transmission Electron Microscopy Studies of Displacement Cascades in Cu3Au Phil. Mag. 34 1141–1153.Google Scholar
- Lee, WE and Lagerlof, KPD 1985 Structural and Electron Diffraction Data for Sapphire (α-Al2O3) J. Electron Microsc. Tech. 2 247–258.Google Scholar