Part of the Series in Biomedical Engineering book series (BIOMENG)
What makes a Bioengineer and a Biotechnologist?
KeywordsBiological Engineer Biomedical Engineering Engineering Program Biological Engineering Professional Skill
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
We thank Joan A.W. Linsenmeier for useful feedback. This work was supported primarily by the Engineering Research Centers program of the National Science Foundation under grant EEC-9876363.
- 2.NIH. Bioengineering Definition. 1997 [cited 9/17/2007]; Available from: www.becon.nih.gov/bioengineering_definition.htm.
- 4.AIMBE. Hall of Fame. 2007 [cited 9/17/2007]; Available from: www.aimbe.org/content/index.php?pid5127.
- 5.TechTarget. Biotechnology. 2007 [cited 9/17/2007]; Available from: www.whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci1109187,00.html.
- 6.NSF. Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology. 2006 [cited 9/17/2007]; Available from: www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id513368
- 7.BIO. Biotechnology Industry Facts. 2007 [cited 7/15/2007]; Available from: www.bio.org/speeches/pubs/er/statistics.asp.
- 8.Young, R.E., Comparisons of ‘Bio’-type Engineering Undergraduate Curricula from Agricultural, Medical and Chemical Origins. Int J Eng Edu, 2006. 22(1): 14–22.Google Scholar
- 9.Young, R.E., The ‘Bio’-Type Engineering Name Game. Int J Eng Edu, 2006. 22(1): 23–27.Google Scholar
- 10.Johnson, A.T., The making of a new discipline. Int J Eng Edu, 2006. 22(1): 3–8.Google Scholar
- 11.U.S. Department of Labor, B.o.L.S. Occupational Outlook Handbook, Engineers 2006–07 Edition [cited 9/17/2007]; Available from: www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm.
- 12.AIMBE. Academic Survey Results. [cited May 26, 2007]; Available from: www.aimbe.org/content/index.php?pid5201.
- 16.Clark, J., et al., Design and analysis of nanoscale bioassemblies. Biotechniques, 2004. 36(6): 998–1001.Google Scholar
- 17.Linsenmeier, R.A. and D.W. Gatchell. Core Elements of an Undergraduate Biomedical Engineering Curriculum – State of the Art and Recommendations. in 9th International Conference on Engineering Education. 2006. San Juan, Puerto Rico.Google Scholar
- 18.King, P. and R. Fries, Designing Biomedical Engineering Design Courses. Int J Eng Edu, 2003. 19: 346–353.Google Scholar
- 20.Billington, D.P. and D.P.J. Billington, Power, Speed, and Form: Engineers and the Making of the Twentienth Century. 2006, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- 21.CDIO. CDIO Syllabus. [cited 9/17/2007]; Available from: www.cdio.org/cdio_syllabus_rept/index.html.
- 22.VaNTH. Domain Taxonomies. 2007 [cited 9/17/2007]; Available from: www.vanth.org/curriculum/curr_taxon.asp.
- 23.ABET. Accreditation criteria. 2006 [cited 9/15/2007]; Available from: www.abet.org/Linked%20Documents-UPDATE/Criteria%20and%20PP/E001%2007–08%20EAC%20Criteria%2011–15–06.pdf.
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008