A Survival Analysis of Albums on Ranking Charts
Maintaining security in the digital world continues to grow in complexity. Firms must protect operating hardware and sensitive data against increasingly innovative threats. With the emergence of digital goods comes a new security front where firms face the reproduction and rapid distribution of the digital goods themselves. Certainly, firms already have had to protect many of their goods from “knockoffs,” but protecting digital goods represents a new level of challenge since the cost of copying and distributing such goods is virtually zero and can occur extensively within very short periods of time. The music industry has been the “poster industry” for facing such threats. The industry’s goods are digital by nature. Further, the appearance of Peer-to-Peer networks offered the means to copy (download) the goods and distribute (share) them rapidly.
KeywordsHazard Rate Post Period Music Industry Online Music Digital Good
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adler, Moshe, “Stardom and Talent,” American Economic Review. 75 (March 1985) 208-212.Google Scholar
- Associated Press, “Norwegian hacker cracks iTunes code,” CNN, November 27, 2003, http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/11/27/itunes.code.ap/index.html
- Bergstein, B., “Copy Protection Still a Work in Progress,” Associated Press, http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051119/ap_on_hi_te/music_copy_protection;_y lt=ArOQdPcARo.I0hnGv20mpcdk24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTBidHQxYjh2BHNlY wN5bnN0b3J5, Nov 18, 2005.
- Bhattacharjee, S., R.D. Gopal, K. Lertwachara, and J.R. Marsden, “Impact of Legal Threats on Individual Behavior: An Analysis of Music Industry Actions and Online Music Sharing,” Journal of Law and Economics. 49 (1) (April 2006) 91-114.Google Scholar
- Bradley, M., “Sony Aims at Pirates - and Hits Users,” Christian Science Monitor, Nov 9, 2005, http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1109/p14s01-stct.html
- Clarke, G., “DVD Jon Hacks Media Player File Encryption,” The Register, September 2, 2005, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/02/dvd_jon_mediaplayer/
- Cox, D.R., “Regression Models and Life Tables,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B. 34 (1972) 187-220.Google Scholar
- Craver, S.A., Min Wu, Bede Liu, Adam Stubblefield, Ben Swartzlander, Dan W. Wallach, Drew Dean, and Edward W. Felten, “Reading Between the Lines: Lessons from the SDMI Challenge,” Proc. of 10th USENIX Security Symposium (August 2001).Google Scholar
- Goodley, S., “Disharmony over music pirates on the Internet,” The Telegraph, January 9, 2003, http://www.telegraph.co.uk
- Halderman, J.A., “Evaluating New Copy-Prevention Techniques for Audio CDs,” Proc. ACM Workshop on Digital Rights Management, Washington, DC, November 2002.Google Scholar
- Levene, Mark, Trevor Fenner, Geroge Loizou, and Richard Wheeldon, “A Stochastic Model for the Evolution of the Web,” Computer Networks. 39 (2002) 277-287.Google Scholar
- Patrizio, A., “Why the DVD Hack Was a Cinch,” Wired News, November 2, 1999, http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,32263,00.html
- Reuters, “CD Crack: Magic Marker Indeed,” May 20, 2002, http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52665,00.html
- Reuters, “Sony Tests Technology to Limit CD Burning,” CNET News. June 1, 2005, http://news.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029666,39189658,00.htm
- Rosen, Sherwin, “The Economics of Superstars,” American Economic Review. 71 (December 1981) 845-858.Google Scholar
- Russinovich, M., “Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far,” http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html, Mark’s Sysinternals Blog, October 31, 2005.
- Schneier, B., Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2000.Google Scholar
- Simon, Herbert A., “On a Class of Skew Distribution Functions,” Biometrika. 42 (1955) 425-440.Google Scholar
- Smith, E., “Sony BMG Faces Civil Complaint Over CD Software,” http://online.wsj.com/article/SB113259581938503230.html?mod=mm_hs_entertainment, The Wall Street Journal. (November 22, 2005).
- Yule, G. Udny, “A Mathematical Theory of Evolution, based on the Conclusions of Dr. J.C. Willis, F.R.S.,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. 213 (1924) 21-87.Google Scholar
- Ziemann, George, “RIAA’s Statistics Don’t Add Up to Piracy,” December 11, 2002, http://www.azoz.com/music/features/0008.htm