YouTube and Its Mobile Distributing Consumer Media Venturing
On Christmas Day in 2007, Queen Elizabeth II posted her traditional Christmas message on YouTube for the first time through a special royal channel on this popular Peer-to-Peer video-sharing website.
This chapter will focus on the emerging Peer-to-Peer video sharing company YouTube. The author will introduce the emergence and development of YouTube as a fast growing consumer media company. The analysis of the company will be made from the perspective of its mobile distributing consumer media venturing – a major business venturing activity inside the company that is aiming at adding more mobility to its Peer-to-Peer video sharing services. The empirical findings presented in this chapter are extracted from a doctoral research project that investigates global media companies’ organizational choices on the architecture for new media business venturing. Therefore, implications for YouTube to develop mobile media business will also be discussed in this chapter.
KeywordsVideo Content Agency Cost Mobile Service Resource Condition External Partner
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bain, J.S. (1968) Industrial Organization. (2nd ed.) New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Bartash, J. (2006) Verizon, YouTube See a Future for Mobile Video. November 2006, http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/verizon-youtube-see-future-mobile/ story.aspx?guid=%7B0E3D29F0-180C-408D-A45D-A0CB08199BD7%7D
- Bryant, S. (2006) Google’s YouTube Mobile Phone Service is Being Lose. http://oraclewatch.eweek.com/blogs/google_watch/archive/2006/11/28/14828. aspx, December 2006.
- Collis, D. (1996) Organizational Capability as a Source of Profit in Organizational Learning and Competitive Advantage. Betrand Moingeon and Amy Edmondson (Eds.), pp. 139-163. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Del Conte, N. (2006) What Will YouTube Be Like On Your Mobile Phone? http://www.techcrunch.com/20p06/11/28/what-will-youtube-be-like-on-your-mobile-phone/, November 2006.
- Graham, J. (2005) Video Website Pop-up. US Today, 2005-11-12.Google Scholar
- Nielsen Media Resarch. (2006) YouTube US Web Traffic Grows 17 Percent Week over Week. http://www.nielsen-netratings.com, September 2006.
- Porter, M.E. (1985) Competitive Advantage, New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Richtel, M. (2006) YouTube Coming Soon to Cellphones. November 2006. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/28/technology/28tube.html?ex=1322370000&en=650dd49648ba275c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
- Sanchez, R.A. and Howard, T. (Eds.). (1996) Dynamics of competence-based competition. New York: Pergamon.Google Scholar
- Veiga, A. (2006) Anti-piracy System Could Hurt YouTube. http://www. msnbc.msn.com, October 2006.
- Wallenstein, A. (2006) NBC Pressures Websites on Video Clips. http://www. backstage.com, October 2006.