Future Implications of Simulation in Anesthesia
It is a simplification to view simulators as the solution that will address shortcom-ings in education. Simulation is not the end point; it is only a tool that must be one part of a well-considered and well-executed curriculum. This chapter will discuss some of the forces that are shaping how simulation is currently being used and will speculate on how they may impact the ways in which simulation may be used in the future, both in education and in the clinical setting. Recent technologic advances and how they may impact the use of simulation will be addressed.
KeywordsObjective Structure Clinical Examination Future Implication Simulation Center Task Trainer Simulation Community
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Philbert I. Simulation and rehearsal. ACGME Bull 2005; Dec:1–16Google Scholar
- 4.Olympio MA. Innovation and the future in continuing medical education. ASA Newsletter, September 2005Google Scholar
- 5.Maintenance of Competence (MOC) Section Descriptions, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. http://rspsc.medical.org/mainport/index.php. Accessed July 26, 2007
- 7.United States Medical Licensing Examination. 2007 USMLE Step 2 CS Content Description and General Information Booklet. http://www.usmle.org/step2/Step2CS/Step2CS2007GI/description.asp. Accessed July 26, 2007
- 8.Format of the Comprehensive Objective Examination in Cardiology (adult). The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. http://rcpsc.medical.org/residency/certifica-tion/examformats/405a_e.php. Accessed July 26, 2007
- 9.“All-New Harvey Cardiopulmonary Patient Stimulator.” Michael S. Gordon Center for Research in Medical Education. http://www.crme.med.miami.edu/harvey_changes.html. Accessed July 26, 2007
- 12.Society for Simulation in Healthcare. http://www.ssih.org/public/. Accessed July 26, 2007
- 13.Accredited Education Institutes. Enhancing Patient Safety Through Simulation. American College of Surgeons. http://www.facs.org/education/accreditationprogram/index.html. Accessed July 26, 2007
- 14.ASA Workgroup on Simulation Education White Paper. ASA Approval of Anesthesiology Simulation Programs. Submitted to the ASA Committee on Outreach Education July 18, 2006, for ASA BOD ACTION. ASASimWhitePaper071806.pdf. Accessed February 7, 2008Google Scholar