Testing SoC Interconnects for Signal Integrity
As the technology shrinks and working frequency is already in multi gigahertz range, design and test of interconnects are no longer trivial issues. Stuck-at fault model can detect bridge and open faults. But, transient, timing, and noise related faults cannot be detected using traditional stuck-at and delay test patterns. New design-for-test (DFT) methods and pattern generation algorithms are required to effectively consider such faults in high-speed designs. The issues related to interconnect design and test will soon become dominant as technology scales going into sub-50nm. Specifically, various issues of signal integrity loss including detection and diagnosis are becoming a great challenge.
KeywordsTest Pattern Multiple Transition Signal Integrity Very Large Scale Integration Automatic Test Equipment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1. N. Weste and K. Eshraghian, Principles of CMOS VLSI Design: A Systems Perspective, Addisson-Wesley, 1993.Google Scholar
- 2. L. Green, “Simulation, Modeling and Understanding the Importance of Signal Integrity,” IEEE Circuit and Devices Magazine, pp. 7-10, Nov. 1999.Google Scholar
- 3. S. Natarajan, M.A. Breuer, S.K. Gupta, “Process variations and their impact on circuit operation,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI Systems, pp. 73-81, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4. A. Sinha, S.K. Gupta and M.A. Breuer, “Validation and Test Issues Re lated to Noise Induced by Parasitic Inductances of VLSI Interconnects,” in Proc. IEEE Trans. on Advanced Packaging, pp. 329-339, 2002.Google Scholar
- 5. X. Bai, S. Dey and J. Rajski, “Self-Test Methodology for At-Speed Test of Crosstalk in Chip Interconnects,” in Proc. Design Automation Conf. (DAC’00), pp. 619-624, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6. L. Chen, X. Bai and S. Dey, “Testing for Interconnect Crosstalk Defects Using On-Chip Embedded Processor Cores,” in Proc. Design Automation Conf. (DAC’01), pp. 317-322, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7. IEEE Standard 1149.1-2001,“Standard Test Access Port and Boundary-Scan Architecture”, IEEE Standards Board, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8. M. Bushnell, V. Agrawal, Essentials of Electronics Testing, Kluwer Publishers, 2000.Google Scholar
- 9. M. Cuviello, S. Dey, X. Bai and Y. Zhao, “Fault Modeling and Simulation for Crosstalk in System-on-Chip Interconnects,” in Proc. Intern. Conf. on Computer Aided Design (ICCAD’99), pp. 297-303, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10. Y. Zhao and S. Dey, “Analysis of Interconnect Crosstalk Defect Coverage of Test Sets,” in Proc. Int. Test Conf. (ITC’00), pp. 492-501, 2000.Google Scholar
- 11. Nagaraj NS, P. Balsara and C. Cantrell, “Crosstalk Noise Verification in Digital Designs with Interconnect Process Variations,” in Proc. Int. Conf. on VLSI Design, pp. 365-370, 2001.Google Scholar
- 12. W. Chen, S. Gupta and M. Breuer, “Analytic Models for Crosstalk Delay and Pulse Analysis Under Non-Ideal Inputs,” in Proc. Int. Test Conf. (ITC’97), pp. 809-818, 1997.Google Scholar
- 13. S. Naffziger, “Design Methodologies for Interconnects in GHz+ ICs,” Tutorial Lecture in Int. Solid-State Conf., 1999.Google Scholar
- 15. W. Chen, S. Gupta and M. Breuer, “Test Generation for Crosstalk-Induced Delay in Integrated Circuits,” in Proc. Int. Test Conf. (ITC’99), pp. 191-200, 1999.Google Scholar
- 16. W. Chen, S. Gupta and M. Breuer, “Test Generation in VLSI Circuits for Crosstalk Noise,” in Proc. Intern. Test Conf. (ITC’98), pp. 641-650, 1998.Google Scholar
- 17. Y. Zhao, L. Chen and S. Dey, “On-line Testing of Multi-source Noise- induced Errors on the Interconnects and Buses of System-on-Chips,” in Proc. Int. Test Conf. (ITC’02), pp. 491-499, 2002.Google Scholar
- 18. S. Yang, C. Papachristou, and M. Tabib-Azar, “Improving Bus Test Via IDDT and Boundary Scan,” in Proc. Design Automation Conf. (DAC’01), pp. 307-312, 2001.Google Scholar
- 19. International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors 2001 (http://public.itrs.net).
- 20. I. Rayane, J. Velasco-Medina and M. Nicolaidis, “A Digital BIST for Operational Amplifiers Embedded in Mixed-Signal Circuits,” in Proc. VLSI Test Symp. (VTS’99), pp. 304-310, 1999.Google Scholar
- 21. S. Tabatabaei and A. Ivanov, “An Embedded Core for Sub-Picosecond Timing Measurements,” in Proc. Int. Test Conf. (ITC’02), pp. 129-137, Oct. 2002.Google Scholar
- 23. M. H. Tehranipour, N. Ahmed and M. Nourani, “Testing SoC Interconnects for Signal Integrity Using Boundary Scan”, in Proc. VLSI Test Symposium (VTS’03), pp. 163-168, 2003.Google Scholar
- 24. C. Chiang and S. K. Gupta, “BIST TPGs for Faults in Board Level Inter-connect via Boundary Scan”, in Proc. VLSI Test Symposium (VTS’97), pp. 376-382, 1997.Google Scholar
- 25. K. Lofstrom, “Early Capture for Boundary Scan Timing Measurement”, Proc. ITC, pp. 417-422, 1996.Google Scholar
- 26. J. Shin, H. Kim and S. Kang, “At-Speed Boundary-Scan Interconnect Testing in a Board with Multiple System Clocks”, in Proc. Design, Automation and Test in Europe (DATE’99), pp. 473-477, 1999.Google Scholar
- 27. IEEE P1500 standard, http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1500/.
- 28. IEEE 1149.4 standard, http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1149/4/.
- 29. L. Whetsel, “Proposal to Simplify Development of a Mixed Signal Test Standard,” in Proc. Int. Test Conf. (ITC’96), pp. 400-409, 1996.Google Scholar
- 30. IEEE 1149.6 Working Group, http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1149/6/, 2002.
- 31. N. Ahmed, M. H. Tehranipour and M. Nourani, “Extending JTAG for Testing Signal Integrity in SoCs”, in Proc. Design, Automation and Test in Europe (DATE’03), pp. 218-223, 2003.Google Scholar
- 32.M. Tehranipour, N. Ahmed and M. Nourani, “Testing SoC Interconnects for Signal Integrity Using Extended JTAG Architecture,” IEEE Transactions on CAD, vol. 23, issue 5, pp. 800-811, May 2004.Google Scholar
- 33. J. Wakerly, Digital Design, Principles and Practices, Prentice Hall, 2000.Google Scholar
- 34. S. Naffziger, “Design Methodologies for Interconnect in GHz+ ICs,” Tutorial, ISSCC 1999.Google Scholar
- 35. S. Kajihara, K. Taniguchi, I. Pomeranz and S. M. Reddy, “Test Compression using Don’t care Identification and Statistical Encoding,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop on Electronic Design, Test and Application (DELTA’02), pp. 413-416, 2002.Google Scholar
- 36. A. Chandra and K. Chakrabarty, “Test Data Compression for System-on-Chip Using Golomb Codes,” in Proc. VLSI Test Symp. (VTS’00), pp. 113-120, 2000.Google Scholar
- 37. S. Wang and S. Chiou, “Generating Efficient Tests for Continuous Scan,” in Proc. Design Automation Conf. (DAC’01), pp. 162-165, 2001.Google Scholar
- 38. OEA International, Inc., http://www.oea.com.
- 39. TI-SPICE3 User’s and reference manual, 1994 Texas Instrument Incorporation, 1994.Google Scholar
- 40. Synopsys Design Analyzer, “User Manual for SYNOPSYS Toolset Version 2000.05-1,” Synopsys, Inc., 2000.Google Scholar
- 41. M. Celik, L. Pileggi and A. Odabasioglu, IC Interconnect Analysis, Kluwer Publishers, 2002.Google Scholar