Correlations Between Dietary Taurine Intake and Life Stress in Korean College Students
The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationship between dietary taurine intake and life stress in Korean college students. The subjects were 320 college students (164 male and 156 female). A three day-recall method was used to assess dietary status (2 weekdays and 1 weekend). Life stress scores were determined using a self-administered life stress questionnaire. The higher stress scores indicate a high frequency and importance of the stress. Average dietary intake of taurine in male and female subjects was 124.1 ± 78.8 mg/day and 96.9 ± 71.7 mg/day, respectively. There were significant negative correlations between taurine intake and the frequency (p<0.01), importance (p<0.05) and total scores (p<0.05) of life stress in female subjects while there were no significant correlations between taurine intake and the frequency, importance and total scores of life stress in male subjects. In female subjects a correlation existed between taurine intake and professor problems, friend problems and future problems (p<0.05). These results suggest that dietary taurine intake may play an important role in reducing life stress.
KeywordsLife Stress Female Subject Taurine Content Taurine Intake Dietary Taurine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chon KK(2000) Development of the revised life stress scale for college students. Kor J Health Psychol 5:316–335Google Scholar
- Kim ES, Kim JS, Moon HK(1999) Taurine contents in commercial milk meats and seafoods. J Kor Soc Food Sci Nutr 28:16–21Google Scholar
- Park JE(1999) Taurine contents in Korean food and daily taurine intake of Korean adults. Graduate School Yonsei University Master Thesis, pp 9–43Google Scholar
- Park TS(2000) Studies on novel activities of taurine and the development of taurine content database of foods. Final Reports of Korean Health Research and Development Project,pp 99–106, Ministry of Health and Welfare Republic of KoreasGoogle Scholar
- Park TS, Park JE, Chang JS, Son MW, Sohn KH(1998) Taurine content in Korean foods of plant origin. J Kor soc Food Sci Nutr 27:801–807Google Scholar
- Sung MJ, Chang KJ(2006) Correlations among life stress dietaryBehaviors and food Choice of college students. J East Asian Soc Dietary life 16:655–662Google Scholar