Effect of Taurine on Alcoholic Liver Disease in Rats
To investigate the effect of taurine on alcoholic liver disease in rats, male Wistar rats were administered alcohol intragastrically for 3 months. The effect of β-alanine-mediated taurine depletion and taurine administration on the development of alcoholic liver disease was examined. It was found that taurine administration produced lower levels of aspartate aminotransferase and alkaline aminotransferase than that of the untreated group. In addition, the levels of hepatic total protein, glutathione and superoxide dismutase were higher in the taurine treated groups than in the untreated control or the taurine depleted group, while hepatic malondialdehyde content exhibited the opposite effect. Moreover, the content of hepatic hydroxyproline, serum hyaluronic acid, interleukin-2, interleukin-6, tumor necrosis factor-α and laminin were all decreased in the taurine treated group. The pathological changes showed that the percentage of fatty degeneration and inflammation in the taurine group were less than that of the control, taurine depleted and automatic recovery groups. These in-vivo findings demonstrate that hepatic disease caused by chronic alcohol consumption can be prevented and reversed by administration of taurine.
KeywordsHyaluronic Acid Model Group Alcoholic Liver Disease Alcohol Treatment Hepatic Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen YX, Li S, Zhang XR (1999) Inhibition effects of taurine on hepatic fibrosis in rats caused by CCL4. Chinese J Digest 19:185–187Google Scholar
- Liu S, Zhang MX (2004) Research summarize of alcoholic liver disease. Chinese Arch. Chinese Med 22:85–86Google Scholar
- Polavarapu R, Spitz DR, Sim JE, Follansbee MH, Oberley LW, Rahemtulla A, Nanji AA (1998) Increase lipid peroxidation and impaired antioxidant enzyme function is associated with pathological liver injury in experimental alcoholic liver disease in rats fed diets high in corn oil and fish oil. Hepatology 27: 1317–1323PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang CH, Zhang XK, Miu YM (2002) Protective effects of taurine on hepatic mitochondria in the process of ischemia reperfusion in rats. Chinese J Integ Trad Western Med Liver Dis 2:351–354 and 357Google Scholar
- Wei X, Liang J, Mao DW (2004) Influence of taurine on the formation of hepatic fibrosis in rats. Chinese J Integ Trad Western Med Digest 12:6–7Google Scholar
- Zhou SQ, Jia CY, Gao DS (1986) Pathomorphologic observations on hepatic damages in rats caused by experimental chronic alcoholic intoxicate. Chinese J Pathol 15:136–139Google Scholar